1. News & Issues
Nadra Kareem Nittle

CNNís Don Lemon: Being Gay Is Worst Thing to Be in Black Culture

By May 16, 2011

In his new memoir, Transparent, CNN anchor Don Lemon has made a move that few of his colleagues have: he's come out as gay. Unlike Rachel Maddow and Thomas Roberts at MSNBC, though, Lemon isn't just gay but black. He told the New York Times that being a "double minority" makes him feel particularly vulnerable. But as he explained why, Lemon painted a distressingly stereotypical portrait of African-American culture. He said:

"It's quite different for an African-American male. It's about the worst thing you can be in black culture. You're taught you have to be a man; you have to be masculine. In the black community they think you can pray the gay away."

While I applaud Lemon's decision to share how he's come to terms with being both black and gay, I couldn't help but to cringe at his portrayal of African Americans in the above statement. All too often the media labels blacks as homophobes with no real proof that they harbor more anti-gay sentiment than others. Still, this stereotype persists, no more so than after Election Day 2008.

As the nation celebrated the election of its first black president, the gay community was horrified to learn that California had voted in support of Proposition 8, which effectively banned gay marriage in the Golden State. Which group was to blame for the proposition's passing? According to initial news reports--African Americans. But the reports that 7 out of 10 black voters supported a gay marriage ban proved to be flat out false. In January 2009, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that an analysis of exit polls found that 58 percent of black voters supported Prop. 8 and not 70 percent, as several mainstream media outlets first reported.

"The study debunks the myth that African Americans overwhelmingly and disproportionately supported Proposition 8," Andrea Shorter, director of And Marriage for All, stated upon the report's release.

Unfortunately, the myth that the African-American community is chock full of homophobes hasn't been debunked. This isn't to say that homophobia isn't an issue among blacks, but to characterize the racial group as a whole in such a way is irresponsible. Lemon said, for example, that blacks think "the gay" can be prayed away. Is he not aware of the scores of white evangelicals who've spread this belief? This is by far not an exclusively black mentality.

But Lemon didn't stop there. He also took aim at black women.

"You're afraid that black women will say the same things they do about how black men should be dating black women," he told the Times.

Say what? I seriously doubt that African-American ladies are going to take issue with Lemon because they believe a black man's rightful place is beside a black woman, even if that man is gay.

All in all, I applaud Lemon for having the courage to come out--as a black man, news personality, sexual abuse survivor, etc. It's just too bad he couldn't take this step without making gross generalizations about African Americans. Being black doesn't give one license to stereotype blacks.

Comments

May 16, 2011 at 7:10 am
(1) Richard Scott says:

I think until the writer lives as a gay person of any gender in the African American community, she won’t understand. Attitudes may be changing, but the black community is still miles away from accepting all people as they are, much less black gay men and women in their own community. Let’s not talk about it. Let’s pretend, right? How about we all get our heads out of the sand and actually talk about it? How about we talk about how religion has us so imprisoned we’d kick out our own children?

May 16, 2011 at 9:28 am
(2) Mark says:

First I want to say I applaud DOn Lemon for this very courageous step. Even thought it shouldn’t be needed, he may be helping many by doing this.

Sadly, I couldn’t help but cringe reading the author’s thoughts on african american’s reactions to homosexuality. I will start by saying that our communities reaction to homosexuality is nowhere near relagated to our community. There are many american’s who feel the same way that a lot of african american’s do when it comes to their views on homosexuality. But let’s not act like just because they feel that way that it is okay for us to feel that way.

It is correct that you can’t say that the negaitive view of homosexuality is how all of us feel but I have been around many and read the blog and comments to see that we have a HUGE problem. I have been in situations where people have made homophobic comments in front of me because I don’t have feminine traits and they didn’t know that I was gay.

And what was wrong with his comment on black women. That is how we feel and I have heard comments from some black women that have similar thoughts.

I think this would have been a better article if you stop making it seem like we can do no wrong because the truth is we can do much better.

May 16, 2011 at 9:52 am
(3) Orville says:

Nadra I think that Don is 110% correct in his statements about homophobia in the black community. I am also a black gay man and I can honestly say Don is right!

Don is talking about his real life experience as a black gay man.

There is a lot of homophobia in black culture and you need to acknowledge this. There is a lot of fear, shame, and hostility that black gay men experience from black men and black women.

I cannot believe you are trying to deny and downplay Don’t truthful statement.

May 16, 2011 at 1:54 pm
(4) Nadra says:

Thanks everyone for their thoughtful comments on this post. I do think my point is being overlooked, though. I’m not suggesting that homophobia isn’t a problem in the black community. I even mention this. What I have a problem with is when the black community is stereotyped as being more anti-gay than all others. I do not think that black people are more homophobic/heterosexist than others. Are religious black people likely to be more homophobic? Yes, but so are religious white people, Asians, Latinos. Are educated, liberal black people less likely to be homophobic? Yes. The same goes for others. I’m objecting to the across-the-board portrayal of all blacks as anti-gay.

May 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm
(5) Sammy says:

What African/American has to take in account, the idea of discrimination which African/American knows all too well. What ever reason someone of different race/religion/sexual orientation it must support by African/American because we are fighting it (discrimination) as we speak. Blacks should support anyone regardless of who they are if they are been discriminated against. Thats my opinion…

May 16, 2011 at 3:56 pm
(6) David says:

He killed any possibility of getting a job at Fox News.

Oh, wait, his being black had already done that.

May 16, 2011 at 9:46 pm
(7) Mari says:

So has it become the norm for a male who has been sexually abused as a child and who has been obviously forced into the act of homo-sexuality to accept that way of life throughout adulthood? Clearly, he was’nt born a homo rather he was sexually abused as a child , so if abuse is a bad thing which we all agree it is , why continue along this path to accept the product of abuse. Don lemon and other male victims of sexual abuse should really search themselves rather than give into something that was forced upon them, this is like saying if a child was abuse he/she is totally powerless to change their destiny and hence will always be a victim to their past. These emotions were forced upon him, he wasn’t born gay but rather than dealing with the issue at hand he and countless others like him just accept that this is the way their life was meant to be……..when all it means is that they remain very much victims of their circumstances.

May 17, 2011 at 1:47 pm
(8) Veronica says:

Mr. Lemon could have been describing my community. The Hispanic community is just as homophobic, if not more so. In the Hispanic culture, machismo (another word for male domination) is prized; for a Hispanic man to be gay is to be less than a man. My culture’s homophobia and sexism, as shameful and deserving of condemnation as they are, are a reflection of the broader American society that still embrace both.

May 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm
(9) D says:

I must say that if we pretend that California african-americans are the same as the ones on the east, mid-west and south, then we would be lying to ourselves. I’m gay and by far over my lifetime it is the african american community which has the most resentment for gays. I agree with Lemon, you are raised to not accept gays in the black community. It is instilled in you that it is wrong from the very start of church. To use Prop 8 as an example of why African Americans are excepting of gay life isn’t relevant. The west coast is much more liberal then the rest of the country but everywhere outside of California you see what the majority of African Americans think of gays overall. Hip Hop alone shows this …”no-homo”

May 19, 2011 at 10:26 am
(10) Billy says:

What I would like to add to this conversation is the double standard being played by mainstream gay rights organization. While these groups justifiably push to end discrimination and bigotry of gays, they at the same time suppress and silent the debate around polygamy. I am from a culture which supports plural marriages, even though I am not a polygamist, but equal rights and fairness for multiple marriage practitioners are non-existent. Polygamy has also been practiced since ancient times and needs to be protected just as vigorously as homosexuality.

May 19, 2011 at 10:43 am
(11) Robert says:

This post is related Mari’s comments… I haven’t heard that Don Lemon was sexually abused as a child, maybe he was and maybe he wasn’t. But I am gay and I was not sexually abused… and I was “born this way”. I have lots of gay friends… and none of them were sexually abused as children.

And because of my job, I know a few straight men who were sexually abused and are not gay.

So, your statements are just another way to reduce my humanity. You assume that I am and that gay people are broken straight people… we are not.

I am human and I am different from you. How many of use have to be born for you to finally accept the FACT of our existence?

It is my opinion that Nadra is correct in her assessment. Homophobia appears to be more linked to religious beliefs than to race or nationality. I know lots of african americans and others who accept me as an equal… and I know lots of people who don’t. The deciding factor always appears to be their religion. (Interestingly level of education has less of an impact.)

As long as people assume that they have the authority from god to judge others then they will judge others… I am not so arrogant to believe that I have the corner on virtue, knowledge and humility as many “believers” seem to assume. I believe there is a passage in the bible that says, “take the plank out of your eye, before trying to remove the splinter from someone else’s”. If more people in general followed this concept, the world would be nicer place to live.

Robert

May 19, 2011 at 11:01 pm
(12) Robert says:

To Billy…

In truth, I am not hear to fight your fight… I am here to fight mine. And you are right, I am not going to fight for the right for you to have two wives… when I can not have one husband…

But I also have not noticed too many Polygamists supporting gay marriage… where are they? Are they righting papers, creating blogs, doing anything to push gay marriage… are they going anything to push Polygamy????

But your right, right now… I am focused on my rights for one marriage to the one person I love.

July 6, 2011 at 9:10 pm
(13) Real America says:

Dear Ms. Nittle,
viewing homosexuality as unacceptable behavior is perfectly normal and is not a problem which needs to be solved. Calling those whom you disagree with “homophobes” demonstrates your inability to articulate a rational argument and a willingness on your part to mindlessly follow the media herd.

thx for listening

July 16, 2011 at 10:23 pm
(14) ED says:

This is horrible. Another black man is perpetuating the gay fad. No on is born gay. If this is the case, why are we born man & woman – divided by gender? I am a Christian, so this will never be accepted behavior for me.

August 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm
(15) 1 Blk Gay Man says:

ugh. blacks are the worst. unclivilized, unclutured, closed-minded people who do nothing but get in their own way of advancing in society. It’s interesting how statistics show that as education level rises in a given group, so does the tendency to be more accepting of GLBT people. guess thats why blacks are so homophobic. makes sense

September 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm
(16) Ka says:

I feel that the term homophobia has been used in the wrong vontext over the years and to describe religious people as “homophobic” is wrong and gays try to use this word in their favor to paint religious people as “hateful” and “intolerant” First of all, whats a phobia? Its an irrational fear of something. I have never seen any Christians who had this phobia. Just becaIf any is the “phobic” its Muslims who are killing gays in their country but does any one ever talk about that? Of course not, cause its always the Christians who are hateful its the Christians who are intolerant and homophobic. The only reason why gays hate Christianity is because our religion does not allow them to act the way that they do. Thats why they try so hard to get their way and its total rebellion against God. I pray for all of them and hope they get saved in Jesus name.

September 30, 2011 at 5:15 am
(17) Fred says:

I am a black gay male. There is a huge problem with homophobia in the black community. I know because I have experienced it. I am tired of people like you justifying this homophobia by saying other people also have homophobia. Suppose I say that “White people aren’t the only racists in the world so let’s ignore the fact that there are white racists. Black people need to stop being so homophobic, and people like you need to stop defending homophobia.

September 30, 2011 at 9:15 am
(18) Nadra says:

Fred, I think there’s a huge gap in your logic. Saying that black people aren’t the only homophobes is not the same thing as saying that I’m okay with homophobia. I’m saying that black people exist in a wider society that’s homophobic and have often been unfairly targeted as homophobes, such as when Prop. 8 passed in California. I would suggest you read up about this topic. It was a classic gay vs. black moment. Suddenly black people became the reason that gays couldn’t marry in California when that turned out not to be true at all. Blacks voted along the same lines as other ethnic groups, but the media was quick to use inaccurate polling data to say that 7 out of 10 blacks voted against gay marriage. Subsequent studies found that evangelical Christians (typically white) were the voting group who were staunchly anti-gay marriage, but they were never scapegoated in the way that blacks were. I’m sorry that you’ve experienced homophobia in the black community, but I believe that if you thought more critically about your experiences you’d find that the same kind of people in the black community who subjected you to homophobia are the same kind of people in the white community who would as well. Is a young, liberal, highly educated professional with no deeply religious ties likely to be a homophobe? No. And that goes for all communities. That is my point–to think critically about the issue instead of just blaming one group. African Americans certainly didn’t invent homophobia, and if they were all to disappear tomorrow, homophobia would still exist. Why do you think that is?

October 1, 2011 at 11:17 pm
(19) Rick says:

Point #1 – Rather than addressing the issue of how do we stop the rampant homophobia in the black community, people here are arguing that it is ok that black people are homophobic because white people are also homophobic. Is it OK to be a murderer because other people are also murderers?

Point #2 – People are born gay. For those of you that are commenting that Don Lemon chose to be gay, you are showing your stupidity. He chose to tell people that he is gay. He did not choose to be gay. Were you born heterosexual or did you choose to be heterosexual?

October 1, 2011 at 11:36 pm
(20) Fred says:

Nadra,
Your comments show that you do not understand this issue. You are the one who needs to do some research on this issue. Some of your statements make no logical sense. The fact that you could make your statements without understanding how illogical the were means that I am unable to explain this issue to you. It would be like trying to explain calculus to a 6-year old child who has never even learned basic math.
What I suggest that you do is deal only with heterosexual issues and stay away from gay issues because your ignorance of this issue is so glaring that even Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles would be able to see it.
I suggest that before you date or marry a man, you should ask him whether he is gay or straight because you are the type of woman who will marry an obviously gay man thinking you can change him and then wonder why he has a boyfirend on the side.
If you hate gay people, then stay out of their lives.

October 2, 2011 at 1:48 am
(21) Nadra says:

Wow, Fred, you have made a number of assumptions about me. You don’t know my marital status, the sexual orientation of my friends or what research I’ve done on the gay community or homophobia. Yet you assume that I’m not married, don’t have gay black friends or have never researched the issue. You also wrote that I hate gay people and nowhere in this post have I said that. I believe that dialogue is key in resolving sexism, racism, heterosexism, etc., but I can’t dialogue with someone who’s making assumptions about me and wild accusations and insults. There’s a way to disagree with someone without resorting to name calling. I said in the blog post more than once that I applaud Mr. Lemon’s decision to come out. If I hated gay people, I certainly wouldn’t have said that let alone written other pieces about gay people of color.

October 1, 2011 at 11:49 pm
(22) fred says:

Nadra,
I suggest that you read the July 2011 issue of Black Enterprise Magazine. They have a cover story titled “BLACK & GAY (in Corporate America)” Perhaps this will help you understand some of the issues faced by black gay people. Right on the cover of the magazine they mention the isolation and fear that are faced by black gay people.
I also suggest that you talk to a few black gay people and ask them about their experiences because your comments clearly show that you have not done this.

October 9, 2011 at 5:42 pm
(23) Raymond says:

I did not even know Don Lemon came out as gay until I saw him mention being honored by GLAAD. First of all, I have always liked him on CNN. He seems to excel as a journalist and reports as a reporter should…impartial. I like him as a commentator, but now I have much more respect for him. However, it is not because he is gay, but, because of the courage it takes to come out. I respect but disagree with the writer of this article. The African American community IS more prone to bias against homosexuality in this country. It should not be sugar coated or excused, but rather addressed. Because other races, etc might also feel the same way about homosexuality does not play the part of Don’s experience as an African American male. What he attempted to express is the fact that it is an issue in our community. You hear it in the negative stereotypes from our musicians, our radio hosts, television, the CHURCH. I think a large majority of the discrimination of gays in our community as well as other communities is the lack of knowledge of what homosexuality is as a whole. Many believe it consists solely of the mere sexual desire to be with another man or another woman. That could not be furthest from the truth. Though there are many who succumb to this, there are many who want a person to love, success, a family, and group of wonderful friends. It’s disheartening that we as a society, because of our intolerance of that which is unknown to us, have made it to where someone like Mr. Lemon had to wait 45 years to be able to say who he is. That’s the real problem. Not whether one group or another does the same thing as little or as much as the other.

November 1, 2011 at 9:06 am
(24) Keith says:

My comment to Mari is that being sexually abused has nothing to do with becoming a homosexual. A person doesn’t turn gay. It’s either you are or you aren’t. Most men who have been sexually abused are heterosexuals. These incidents of this sort of abuse goes unreported because of the stigma that is attached to the act itself. What Don Lemmon was conveying was his own life experiences and why he found it difficult to come out of the closet. He never denied he wasn’t gay, he just chose not to reveil himself to the rest of the world. Like it’s any of our business who he has sex with.

December 24, 2011 at 7:54 am
(25) Buddy says:

Which is quite funny, because black men love to dance and screw around a lot. Does that remind you of a stereotype of any other minority group of people?

May 8, 2012 at 9:37 am
(26) Craig says:

Part 1 –
Nadra? Do you have gay male sibblings, someone who is gay that you have grown up with? I’m not talking about someone you met after high school, who you’ve added to your “family”. Were you born, prior to 1970? Then you really have no idea of what the “gay-black-male” has really had to deal with.
Polls are unreliable. If you were in California, during Prop 8, and saw the actual news reports, Blacks didn’t vote against it because they were pro-gay. We also saw it as a opening for conservative groups to use this as a tool to impede other freedoms that African Americans and other groups enjoy. Prop 8 was properly advertised as a civil rights violation by the Black Community.
As a gay-black-man, and knowing the vast amount of people I know, for the most part, a mother’s love was/is unconditional. BUT, a Father’s love and respect were/are the casualties of being gay. Your father didn’t have to physically beat you to crush you. All he had to do is hold back his love and respect from you. And that was a DIRECT effect of the Black Church and its influence on the Black Family. It was always discussed in hushed voices, but you better not put it front and center. Only recently have religious leaders changed their views on the subject, only after tens of thousands of their parishoners have died from AIDS, many shunned by their families.

May 8, 2012 at 9:38 am
(27) Craig says:

Part 2 –
What is the number one joke about Gay Black Men in America? “All the Good Black Men are taken………They either in jail……or GAY!” Unless you are a “fag hag” (sorry…..no PC way to put it). That’s what we hear from the Sistas……….Sorry Nadra……..THERE IS NO DEBATE!
It has only been 15 years since Ellen and “Will and Grace”, and they’re White.
I appreciate your questioning his reasoning, because you are not a Man. I would never think to publically say how Black Women thinks is wrong. When you wrote this piece, did you even sit with at least 10-15 gay-black-men of various ages and discuss things? And, because of who Don Lemon is, being in the News Industry was probably the best forum to “come out” in. Why don’t you have a talk with the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB (and my personal favorite…MMA) and see if you can get some “down low” married brotha to tell you what would happen if they came out while still active.
The Black Community may be less homophobic, but it’s a VERY recent Metamorphosis, AND, it will never apologize for the pain it has caused and the souls it has crushed. Until you have been in my shoes, or someone like me, please do your homework before you critique. That’s all we ask.
You may have cringed……However, sometimes the truth is ugly and painful, and, takes time to get over.

October 19, 2012 at 4:44 pm
(28) Joxor says:

Such an immature response from the author of this piece toward fair criticism aimed at members of the so-called ‘black community’ does not bode well and in itself reveals the problem.

I’m so proud of Don Lemon for mentioning this in his book! The author of this article seems quite clueless to the amount of hatred, violence and ‘shunning’ prevalent in the black community.

I grew up in Detroit and have one brother who’s a violent criminal and irresponsible father and another who has 5 kids from four marriages who teats women like accessories. Both my brothers are uneducated but I have a master’s degree, successful career and have been involved with the same guy for 12 years. Disinherited and disowned years ago, since my family are loving Baptists, I know many guys (and girls) that have gone through this and it’s still occurring in 2012. Just found out that a friend’s son recently came out and the grandmother immediately threw him out. This issue is real and needs to be properly addressed and discussed so this community can heal, grow and move on, instead of sugar-coated and tossed aside by the author of this article.

October 25, 2012 at 8:39 am
(29) JFIDAOEW says:

Could the argument also be made that being black is the worst this to be in gay culture?

~El

January 21, 2013 at 7:18 pm
(30) Ekie Guy says:

If you look at different countries and see how they treat homosexuals, America will look pretty good, and the black community also. One thing that people fail to expose when talking about this, is that the male gay man is going to lose from 10 to 20 years off their life span because of anal sex, and or anal-mouth sex. The anal area is made for the waste material to come out,,not for something to go in.
This causes the membranes to break and waste material to go throughout the blood stream. This is why the gay community has so much aids and other diseases. Look at the medical facts and then you will understand why God created a marriage between a male and a female. While you are smililing and eluding the facts, many people are suffering and dying. Walk in someone’s shoes that has to die of aids and you will wake up. My first cousin who I loved very much was gay and died a slow death of aids. Thank God he accepted Jesus before he died and now he is in heaven.

February 19, 2013 at 9:32 am
(31) David says:

I’m sure the writer means well but she is obviously clueless on this subject.

March 23, 2013 at 3:40 am
(32) 6Erypeemargy says:

international Hosting Association

personal reference | about hostasgcon,ms | By henry Hirsch

HostingCon 2006 played host to the first step in the coming of an industry association that certifies business practices and ethical standards, Gives members combined buying power, Legal bargaining power, Business benefits and preferred treatments by vendors.

Some very prominent names in the industry, Such as 1 and Microsoft have expressed interest in supporting such an association, And many hosts and hosting industry vendors seem to warn up to idea whenever it is claimed.

If you wondering when expect to see the IHA come to fruition, Ask Tony Holloway of angry Rooster. He is the chief proponent and project leader for the connection. He probably tell you the time period necessary to complete the formation of the IHA is inversely proportional to the number of people who volunteer to help get all of the components into place. I assisting in these fitflops efforts myself (I the person pest Tony probably hates me by now), And I would die to see more people take part in these formative stages. he’s co-who owns Studio1337, A Web design and refinement company located in Akron/Canton, oh, western side. Hartford, Conn. Paul received his bachelors degree from Kent State institution in Electronic Media Production, With minors in Computer particulars Systems and Sociology. He earned a masters degree in Media direction from Kent as well. through his theWHIR blog, He will offer points of views on developments in design technology for the people who create what Web hosts host.

July 8, 2013 at 7:18 pm
(33) Her says:

I have no pitty on this article. If I’m the only one who believes being gay is wrong, then so be it. Applaud him for coming out?? For what??!! For being honest….Ok, the truth is always good and will set you free. But being gay deserves a prayer over the individual, not an applause. It’s not about race or religion, it’s not of God. Period. It’s a shame that society tries to condones homosexuality just so the people who CHOOSE to be gay feel comfortable about themselves. Check my choice of words…CHOOSE. Being gay is a choice, not a birth defect. It’s not a result of rape or molestation, but a choice! I am a victim of molestation and I refuse to choose to be gay because of grief. Not “black men, nor white men,” but MEN take a stand and be MEN. If you disagree, it’s only because you’re just as confused as they are. I don’t hate our crucifie those that choose to be gay, instead I pray for their deliverance. No round of applause, take a sit and snap out of it. You can’t justify or scientifically make since of homosexuality!

August 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(34) matt says:

“homophobes”? Wouldn’t that mean someone who is afraid of men?

All this gay stuff is nothing more than a fetish. It’s nothing more than obsession with sex, and is in the same boat as BDSM, polyamory, furries, ABDL and all that crap.

I like the thought of a good dick up the ass just as much as anyone else, but in reality, think of all the problems with fecal matter and all that.

This gay marriage stuff is one giant joke.

September 5, 2013 at 12:00 am
(35) Lane Gateley says:

Give us more chocolate home boys!

September 20, 2013 at 9:47 am
(36) Court says:

So what you’re gay yaaaaaaaay!! whoop do dooo what ever!! I like how people put homosexuality in the same genre with the hangings, bombings, and beatings of blacks over the years. Shame on you for taking a lifestyle and turning it into a civil rights matter!! I could give two craps about the gay person next to me as long as they are being decent people how really cares, what you do in your bedroom should stay there. But to clump homosexuality in the same genre with civil rights is just plain shameful. I understand that hate crimes against any group is evil, and those who carry out these crimes should be dealt with accordingly, but just stop with the comparing gay rights to the rights of African American, Latino American and other actual races!! if you want to marry someone go ahead and be happy for all I care, but don’t make it an issue you feel warrants the cause of everyone else!!! Shame on you for saying such a thing with your flags when we are still ever so busy ignoring racial rights and harmony of people as it is!!

January 23, 2014 at 5:18 pm
(37) Riley says:

Sadly the author doesn’t know a thing. My years living as a African american trans-woman have been an ordeal that I can scarcely describe. It is hard enough dealing with the culture as a whole, but the treatment that I get from other African Americans is rarely ever nice. I dealt with daily harassment and threats. Even now, living as a gay man of color, I am rarely treated well by my own people. I don’t know about the author’s statistics, or experiences, but from where I am standing, it looks more like 9 out of ten. All this in the liberal city of Seattle.

February 9, 2014 at 10:40 pm
(38) knowledge says:

I have heard comments that black is the new gay. As a black woman I want to be able to look at this issue very seriously and with a great deal of compassion. Especially because I believe that God does not hate the homosexual. But hates my sexuality as sin as in all sense. What’s perplexing is that even many gay bisexual down low people can’t even defined who what where or how they are as they are.example the transgendered person who believes that he is or feels like a woman trapped inside of a male body.what is perplexing is that how can he even compare what he would know as being a woman if he is not a woman.then there is the down low man who has homosexual acts with another man but feels that he is amen and not gay. Then there is the bisexual who believes that he or she can’t really decide so they don’t bother to try to pick a side they just go with both. Then there is the homosexual or the lesbian who seem to find there I didn’t see either as more feminine or more masculine ie butch.you if you can’t decide what you are then how do you expect other people to accept this as quote on quote normal. And how do you rule out especially in the black community the lack of fathers the lack of environments that are not only in balanced but often hostile or violent especially in the inner city. How do you not deal with abuse neglect as direct wounds that could cause conflict on the inner man.

May 6, 2014 at 5:52 am
(39) jax says:

You gay black men do not mean the race any good. If all Black men were Five-Percenters, then “Peace God” we would have no religious quarrels. If every BM was Muslim, same thing –no fight. If every BM was a thug, we would all know how to relate to each other. What does every religion want? New Converts. If we were all rich, Black on Black crime would cease, especially when driven by economic forces. If every BM was gay, what then. Test this cause. Are you willing to die for it? Are you willing to kill? If a man gained power and influence such as Hitler, and decided he wanted to kill all the Asian, Jews– whoever– II, being Black would take up my gun and fight alongside that Asian, Jew against those that seek his demise. I cannot say that I could take one life in defense of gay.