1. News & Issues
Nadra Kareem Nittle

Is the Tea Party Racist?

By July 19, 2010

Is the Tea Party Racist? The NAACP thinks so. Sarah Palin does not, nor does Vice President Joe Biden.

"I wouldn't characterize the Tea Party as racist," Biden said on ABC's Sunday morning political show "This Week." But "there are individuals who are either members of or on the periphery of some of their things, their -- their protests -- that have expressed really unfortunate comments."

Hmmm...I'm not sure what Biden means by "unfortunate comments." Is he referring to reports by black legislators that Tea Party activists hurled racial epithets at them? Is he referring to the posters created by Tea Party members depicting President Obama as a jungle savage? How about Tea Party members' persistent claims that Obama isn't a U.S. citizen because they just can't accept that a black guy with a funny name is running the country? If Biden is referring to any of these occurrences, it's difficult to understand why he doubts the group is racist. In fact, the New York Daily News is informally polling readers about whether they believe racism's to blame for the Tea Party's attacks on Obama. As of July 18, an overwhelming 75% of respondents agree that racism is at play in the Tea Party's disapproval of the president.

I think the public has seen too many racist posters at Tea Party rallies to write off the group members who carry them as fringe participants. If these so-called fringe members feel comfortable showing up to gatherings with such signs and aren't being reprimanded by others, it's easy to see why the public would get the idea that the Tea Party is a hotbed of racism. Last week, when the NAACP devised a resolution asking "all people of good will to repudiate the racism of the Tea Parties, and to stand in opposition to its drive to push our country back to the pre-civil rights era," it aimed to push conservative leaders to censure the racists in the Tea Party rather than continue blaming "fringe members" for the offensive acts exposed to the public.

Fortunately, the Tea Party leaders appear to have taken the NAACP's resolution seriously. On July 17, the Tea Party ousted Mark Williams, head of the Tea Party Express, for writing a satirical letter posted on his blog in which he referred to blacks as "coloreds."  In the letter, the "coloreds" basically ask Abraham Lincoln to rescind their emancipation because slavery was "a great gig," given that they received room and board and a "massa" to make decisions for them.

"Freedom means having to work for real, think for ourselves, and take consequences along with the rewards," Williams reportedly wrote. "That is just far too much to ask of us Colored People and we demand that it stop!"

Whatever Williams and his supporters claim, this letter is racist on a variety of levels. Firstly, Williams referred to African Americans using outdated terminology. He then implied that blacks would prefer the dehumanizing experience of slavery because they don't like to think, make decisions or face consequences.

Well, now Williams is facing a consequence. He's lost his membership to the National Tea Party Federation. I applaud the Tea Party for the decision and encourage them to oust anyone else in the federation who behaves in a blatantly racist manner. If the Tea Party takes no action against such people, what kind of message does that send, not only to groups like the NAACP, but also to the people of color who support the party?

Comments

July 19, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(1) Justin Quinn says:

Nedra,

I’ve attended several Tea Party events and have yet to see any signs that I would consider racist. The odd thing is that at one event in Michigan, a racist sign holder who was attracting the attention of cameras was confronted by several Tea Party members and asked to leave. As he was doing so, one of the Tea Party people recognized him as a well known local liberal and Obama supporter! When he was confronted about this later, he refused to answer any questions about his motivation, but it’s fairly obvious that there is a concerted effort on the part of liberals to infiltrate Tea Party events in order to paint the entire movement as racist.

If you don’t believe me, Google “Jason Levin” and “crash the tea party.” You’ll find a fellow who was actually investigated by the Oregon state Teacher Standards and Practices Commission for attempting to do just that. He was a school teacher and had allegedly used his school computer to facilitate his political activism.

As for the black legislators’ claims of racial epithets and being spit on by Tea Partyers, Andrew Breitbart offered a $100,000 reward for anyone who can supply proof. No takers yet. Thing is, there were a multitude of cameras at the event in question, and no one seems to be able to find any comments or shouts that indicate a legislator was subjected to racist comments. In one of the videos, however, a black lawmaker can be seen flinching from what he would later say was spit by a Tea Partyer, but the camera clearly shows that it was unintentional “say-it-don’t-spray-it” spittle from an overzealous activist, yelling “Kill the bill! Kill the bill!” Apparently, when he formed the voiceless velar consonant ‘k’ at the beginning of the sentence, he unintentionally ejected some spittle from the back of his throat.

Getting back to the NAACP’s recent allegation, I would submit that the organization take a look at itself before casting such aspersions. After all, the diversity at Tea Party events — which I’ve seen with my own eyes — indicates a clear and intentional effort to reach out to minorities, not ostracize or marginalize them. In fact, more than 20 percent of the Tea Party identifies itself as non-white, which is a much greater percentage, I’m sure, than the percentage of NAACP members who identify themselves as non-African American.

Unfortunately, there is and will always be those whose motives are less than noble in any organization, group or movement, and I’d even be willing to admit that there are racists who have come to Tea Party events in the past (though, like I said, I’ve never personally seen them). But ask yourself this: is it really fair for an entire group or organization to be judged by the actions of a few cringe-inducing zealots who act on their own accord and without regard for the larger body’s wishes or principles? If so, then I would encourage the NAACP to cast an equally strong rebuke against the New Black Panther Party, which was charged in 2008 with voter intimidation for making racist comments and threatening white and black voters and poll watchers in Philadelphia. Unless the NAACP is willing to issue a condemnation for that behavior, I’d say its rebuke of the Tea Party rings quite hollow.

July 19, 2010 at 3:48 pm
(2) Nadra says:

Hey, Justin, thanks for your reply. I’m glad to hear that you usually don’t see people holding racist signs at Tea Party events. That said, while I can believe that the media might zone in on a few fringe racists who show up at rallies, it’s hard to believe that liberals have consistently planted imposters at these rallies. Moreover, I can’t ignore Mark Williams, who played an active role in the group and wrote that racist letter, satirical or not. I’m glad the Tea Party parted ways with him.

-Nadra

July 19, 2010 at 3:20 pm
(3) Jeff says:

Mark’s commentary was satirical! And, I’m a black man who can not stand politicol correctness. I was incinerated by females on several occassions for saying “gal”. It’s nuts, and I would say you are over sensitive, but I now know you seek power through politicol correctness, you seek to rule over anyone who speaks the truth. You seek to form a clique of elites through your extreme censorship of language. Mark’s satire was dead on, countless Americans are looking for a big government to provide for all their needs. I know countless people who are laying around collecting $400.00 a week on unemployment. Don’t work or think for yourslves. Just keep growing government until we are enslaved by their demands.

July 19, 2010 at 5:45 pm
(4) Erin says:

If the NAACP doesn’t like the term “colored people” shouldn’t they change their name? Aside from the Ole Miss Rebels (University of Mississippi) is the NAACP the only group in America with a pre-civil war connotation in their name? Thoughts?

July 19, 2010 at 6:47 pm
(5) Czero says:

I do not support the Tea Party and I think that their ideas are nostalgic for a time that never was but I do not think that they are racists, or racist organization. Perhaps a few bad apples are members, but I have not seen any credible evidence of race being a platform of the Tea Party. Just because a group has a lighter skin tone on average than the NAACP does not infer that it is a racist organization. We all must refrain from immediately pulling the race card when someone holds anti-Obama views, or opposing views of any kind, unless you have credible evidence of racist actions/speech etcetera because, to me, it’s the same as calling someone “un-American” for not supporting Bush’s policies. Such fallacious arguements are immature, polarizing and do not help solve any problems.

July 19, 2010 at 9:14 pm
(6) M Coleman says:

Its always the same that so many people never see the true meaning and deep seated hatred of a few that make an entire group/party look terrible. The NAACP is definetly a well meaning organization.They try to protect their existence also by picking fights that may gain popularity and them some recognition.
Sad to say though that there are people like Justin and the like that will always see the blue in the sky and can’t see grey if you paid them.
The good people of the Tea Party will be tarnished if the Kooks are not taken serious and asked to the door by the best of the party..

July 20, 2010 at 12:43 am
(7) JohnLindsay says:

Justin: and have yet to see any signs that I would consider racist.

JL: That doesn’t mean anything.
What you might view as not racist…is likely to be viewed by others as indeed racist.
If racist signs are a norm for you, meaning they’re pervasive in your environment…you’ll not view them as racist…”just how things are.”

Two, why is it that others and yourself…believe that they can “provide one example (Jason Levin)” and that somehow renders the opposition’s argument invalid?!
To have any application, Justin needs to provide evidence of a whole lot of people across the country doing the same thing as he claims Levin was doing. Otherwise, Strike 2.

Three, just because no one has received Andrew Breitbart’s reward…does NOT mean that “no one has tried to claim it.”

Knowing Breitbart, I would say it’s very likely that many have attempted to claim it, but have been turned down”…in order that Breitbart can continue with his claim.

Justin: In fact, more than 20 percent of the Tea Party identifies itself as non-white, which is a much greater percentage, I’m sure, than the percentage of NAACP members who identify themselves as non-African American.

JL: White people helped to establish the organization in the beginning, and continue to be among its membership.

Using the terms “non-White” and “non-African American” is ridiculous…in lieu of the fact that…the slurs used were directed to Black people.

Besides Blacks, the term “non-White” also refers to Asian-/Latino-/ and “Native”-Americans.
Hence, what percentage of the tea party is actually Black?! Less than 1%…is the number I’ve seen or heard.

Two, giving a breakdown of each group’s “percentages of different ethnic groups”….is yet another red herring.

The issue is that “some members of the tea party have been seen or heard making racist statements or carrying racist signs targeting Black people.

On the other hand, how many White supporters or White members of the NAACP…have accused non-White NAACP members of “making racist statements or carrying racist signs with messages that target White people?!”

That’s the issue, turkey…NOT “what is the ethnic breakdown of each organization.”
Pretty good try…but obviously…not good enough. :>)

Justin: But ask yourself this: is it really fair for an entire group or organization to be judged by the actions of a few

JL: It’s indeed “interesting” how Whites like Justin…always attempt to ask such a question or make the following statement…when Whites are the subject: not all Whites are racist; not all police officers are racist or bad; not all social workers are bad.

I’ve yet to hear one CONservative on a White talk radio show make such a statement about Blacks or other People of Color.

The issue here is this: If not all tea party members are racist, then why do we not see “non-racist members” snatching the racist signs away from racist members…or telling them to put those signs away?!

Instead, what we’ve seen is individuals or organizations external to the tea party membership…asking the “self-proclaimed non-racist members” to censure the behavior of racist members.

M Coleman: They try to protect their existence also by picking fights that may gain popularity and them some recognition.

JL: The NAACP doesn’t need to “use the tea party to get recognition.”
They are a long-standing organization that has access to the mainstream media.
The tea party has only existed for about a year….while the NAACP has been around for over 100 years…and will continue to exist long after the tea party implodes.

Personally, getting rid of Mark Williams isn’t going to make much difference in how I view the tea party.
That’s like the KKK getting rid of David Duke: a leader is gone, but how does that change the beliefs of the remaining members?!

All they’ll do now is attempt to “keep their racist beliefs out of public view”…or voicing them only with their dearest friends/members.

July 20, 2010 at 12:54 am
(8) JohnLindsay says:

Erin, what about the Sons of Confederate Veterans or even the Daughters of the American Revolution?

You’re not the first person to ask such a question.
The NAACP is targeting

July 20, 2010 at 11:53 am
(9) Maria says:

To JohnLindsay: What’s interesting is how Liberals can always manage to bring race into the argument…especially when Conservatives are trying to stick to the issues. Case in point:

Justin’s comment: “But ask yourself this: is it really fair for an entire group or organization to be judged by the actions of a few.”

Your reply? To make this a race issue…notice YOU, JohnLindsey (not Justin) made the gigantic leap to assume that his comment was meant only for white organizations. Why is that? Maybe it’s because in our increasingly liberal society, only minorities are given a “pass” for their racist attitudes/thinking/behavior…who knows. Whatever your reasoning, it was incorrect to make this assumption – Justin’s comment applies to ALL organizations.

The solution: Apply the same measure to everyone regardless of race – theirs OR yours…which has a very familiar ring.

Mark 4:23-24 (Jesus speaking)
“‘If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear. Consider carefully what you hear,’ he continued. ‘With the measure you use, it will be measured to you—and even more.’”

July 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm
(10) Maria says:

P.S. Why is it that just because Conservatives disapprove of the President (or question his nationality), it’s automatically attributed to racial discrimination?

I disapprove of the President, and I also question whether or not he is a U.S. citizen, but it’s NOT based on his race – it’s based on two simple things:

1. Proof of citizenship has not been firmly established. I would require the proof of citizenship question to be settled on ANY Presidential candidate – regardless of race. I’m sure the first Hispanic or Asian candidate to run for the Presidential office will be asked to provide the same…I have no issues with that; if you’re going to run for president, then you should have no issues in proving that you meet the criteria.

2. I disagree with ANY socialist policies or agendas – Joe Biden’s, Hillary Clinton’s, along with all the other liberal/socialistic politicians out there. People should work for what they have and if you work harder than others and earn more, then that’s your reward.

If I want more money, the answer isn’t for the Government to “level the playing field” for me and give me some of your money…the answer is for me to work harder, be more creative, do whatever I can within the legal boundaries to earn more money.

People need to stop looking to the Government for all their answers and stop comparing what they have with what their neighbors have…

July 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm
(11) Katy says:

Maria says:
“1. Proof of citizenship has not been firmly established. I would require the proof of citizenship question to be settled on ANY Presidential candidate – regardless of race. I’m sure the first Hispanic or Asian candidate to run for the Presidential office will be asked to provide the same.”

Why would you assume the firt Asian or Hispanic
Presidential candidate would be asked to provide proof of citizenship? And why would you be OK with that?

BTW, if you head on over to factcheck.org you’ll see that the birth certificate is in order so, citizenship has indeed been firmly established.
In fact, more officials than at any point in my lifetime have verified one birth certificate.

July 21, 2010 at 12:53 am
(12) Justin Quinn says:

Katy: The last white person to have his nationality questioned was John McCain. He was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which at the time was a territory of the U.S. Many on the left — and even some on the right — have questioned whether his birthplace should have precluded him from running for president.

Your comment, “When was the last time a white guy running for President was asked to provide that?” just goes to show how absolutely ridiculously oversensitive our society has become about the issue of race. Too many people on the left are unwilling to educate themselves about the realities of American politics, and too willing to read off the palm card talking points given to them by those with whom they share a knee-jerk liberal mentality.

So, yeah. The last white guy was John McCain. Pretty recent, huh? Still think it’s racism, Katy?

BTW, I’m not a “birther,” but I can understand why so many people are questioning President Obama’s heritage. The birth certificate to which you (and factcheck.org) refer is a reproduction issued by the state of Hawaii in response to a FOIA request (that’s Freedom of Information Act, to you and me). No original birth certificate has surfaced or been supplied by the Obama people. That said, I do believe that Obama — just like McCain — was born in the U.S.

Nedra,

Don’t get me wrong; I didn’t mean to imply that liberals were insidiously planting racist literature and signs at events en masse, but I do believe there is a concerted effort to undercut the momentum of the Tea Party by branding it a racist movement. Really, nothing could be further from the truth. As for what Mr. Lindsay said, I can tell you that racists who do show up to Tea Party events from time to time do so at their own peril and are often confronted by angry and outraged Tea Partyers. Despite the horrible things people have been saying about these events, there are more good people attending them than bad.

Regarding the demographic information, Mr. Lindsay, I mentioned it merely to alert Nedra to the fact that the Tea Party has much more diversity in its ranks than the current membership of the NAACP. Though it may have been founded by white people, I’d be very surprised if there were more than a handful (that’s five) white members of the organization. I’m sure there are many white supporters of the NAACP — heck even I believe it’s been a very important and noble agent of social change in America — but I’m not foolish enough to believe that there are many white people who have been invited to actually join the organization.

I also take issue with your comment that the NAACP “has access to the mainstream media.” The reality is that, other than their annual dinner and the occasional bad publicity from featured guests who’ve given racially-charged speeches at their events, the NAACP has become increasingly marginalized over the last 20 years. It is an organization that is becoming increasingly less important thanks to affirmative action programs, quotas and other initiatives designed to give a leg up to African Americans particularly and “non-whites” generally. The unfortunate reality for the NAACP is that they’ve morphed over the years from being a genuinely important civil rights organization to being nothing more than an advocacy group for African Americans. It’s no secret that the NAACP has seen its membership decline over the years as its services become increasingly less needed, and with controversies like the one it’s embroiled in now with Shirley Sherrod, the NAACP finds itself desperately needing some media attention of its own choosing.

Request for clarification:
“It’s indeed “interesting” how Whites like Justin…always attempt to ask such a question or make the following statement…when Whites are the subject: not all Whites are racist; not all police officers are racist or bad; not all social workers are bad.

But when African Americans are the subject, you never hear that statement being made by a White person, do you?!”

I’m not sure what exactly you’re talking about. It sounds like you’re saying that whites say all the time that “not all whites are racist,” but that they never say, “not all African Americans are racist.” If that’s what you mean, let me tell you this in no uncertain or opaque terminology: NOT ALL AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE RACIST.

As for your silly argument that Andrew Breitbart has “turned down” takers for his $100,000 reward, I’m sure that if the evidence in question existed, it wouldn’t matter what Breitbart did; the owner of that bit of proof would have well in excess of $100,000 from other sources willing to pay — and pay dearly — for it.

Incidentally, Mr. Lindsay, you greatly devalue all of your arguments when you resort to name-calling. In the future, you might not want to refer to people who respectfully disagree with you as “turkey”s as I’m sure that it will not only escalate the discussion in a direction no one would like it to go, but it may also land you in a Terms-of-Service violation with About.com … especially if your rhetoric rises above non-profane words like “turkey.”

Also, think of the poor turkeys; likening me to them is a pejorative to which, I have no doubt, many turkeys would take deep and profound offense.

July 21, 2010 at 9:34 am
(13) Lisa says:

Thanks Justin for your reply. I’ve been involved with the tea party since February 2009. It’s the true first grassroots movement I’ve seen in this country. I have NEVER seen, nor heard racist remarks at these tea parties. Now should I believe that we are the exception? I don’t think so as our tea party drew 10,000 people on tax day 2009. I heard we were one of the biggest crowds that day. If racism was alive, you’d think one would see it then.

This charge of racism is pure baloney and the left’s ONLY weapon to desperately try to defend their sagging polls and popularity. The tea party scares the crap out of them and they have no way to fight it except to lie about the members.

And the left has planted impostors at these tea parties in attempts to sully their image. That is not even up for discussion because of the proof all over the web about it. Any discerning individual can find that information if they aren’t lazy and care to do so. So whoever said that doesn’t happen…..well…..you figure it out.

Anyhow, I’m sick of the lies about the tea party. My challenge to anyone who believes the bull about racists is this: GO TO A TEA PARTY AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. Then the next time you hear a fool lamenting about this issue, you can clearly give them the facts of your personal experience.

Remember in November. Vote the bums out.

July 21, 2010 at 10:45 am
(14) Jennifer says:

July 21, 2010 at 11:16 am
(15) Julia says:

If you have never been to a Tea Party, please do not comment. One or two signs (out of hundreds) does not a Tea Party make. I would be curious what the signs would say from the Acorn and SEIU people who are sent to protest the parties if they were allowed to make their own rather than carry the manufactured ones. Kinda describes the 2 movements: homegrown vs manufactured.

July 21, 2010 at 11:23 am
(16) Julia says:

Oh and by the way . . . I keep hearing references to the white faced Obama as being racist – a reference to the Jim Crow days. Excuse me????? Have you ever seen Batman? Can you say JOKER????!!!!!!! And I have yet to see/hear any evidence of the alleged name-calling on the steps in DC. And there were cameras and audio recorders EVERYWHERE – Pelosi made sure of it since it was a prepared photo op. In this day & age, SOMEONE would have been able to produce the evidence-esp. for the $10k being offered . . .

July 21, 2010 at 11:39 am
(17) Lydia says:

Just because we don’t care for what Obama is doing, it doesn’t mean that we are racists. For example, let’s say that there is a bully that picks on smaller kids. Whether that person is black or white, it doesn’t matter. They are still hurting other people, and what they are doing is still wrong. Or if a person is being nice to other people, it doesn’t mean that if they are black or white, that it makes their acts any less better. :) Besides, while there isn’t as much blacks in the organization, I have seen some black Tea Partiers. Personally, I believe that the left-winged media is trying to say that the Tea Partiers are racist so that the blacks wouldn’t want to become a Tea Partier.
Besides, my mom, who was a lawyer, told me that justice is blind. And that is how it should always be. Forever and always.

July 21, 2010 at 12:12 pm
(18) Stevie says:

I know that in my area there are plenty of Tea Party folks who are racist. These aren’t people who carry signs or write Internet diatribes about it, either. That’s not how you’d know. No, you’d know because you live in the same neighborhood and your kids play at the same park. You’d know because you’re part of the same school organizations. You’d know because you see these folks at church or mom’s night out. That’s when they think that you — because you’re a white person living in the South, apparently — want to hear all about their politics and racist views.

Many of them, if they feel they’re in the right company, will just let it all out. But if a waitress approaches or a black person is nearby, they hush it up pretty quickly. They know it’s wrong. Others, and it’s the strangest thing to me, are totally racist and act as if they don’t even know it. A conversation I had with one mom about welfare, for example… This mom was so pissed about blacks spitting out babies and using food stamps to buy oysters and crab legs. I asked her, why just blacks? Whites on welfare don’t do this? Asians? Nobody else abuses this system? I told her that was a racist statement. She argued that it wasn’t. It was just “the truth.” Whites don’t take advantage of the system because they’re “too proud” and because they “probably put in to the system at some point so they deserve to get something back.”

What???

These are the tea party members that I know. But, to be fair, not all of the racist people I know are in the tea party. The majority of them are just conservatives (or some just people with no real political affiliation at all). However, the members of my own family, some who have run for office before on Democratic tickets, have suddenly become quite conservative and outspoken about a black man in office. Some of them even bought into all that “He’s a Muslim” hype. I don’t have to guess about my family members, either. I have lived with their racism all my life. My father’s favorite joke when I was growing up: “I’m not racist. I love black people. I think everyone should own one or two.”

So, I know what racism looks like and I don’t need someone to carry a big sign to alert me to what’s in their heart. As a white woman in the South, all I have to do is sit around a dinner table or PTA meeting and whisper the right question. (“What do you think of that Obama? That Al Sharpton sure is outspoken, isn’t he? When are they gonna reform welfare?”) And the answers I get whispered back are way scarier to me than anything I’ve seen at a Tea Party rally.

I whisper the questions anyway, though, because it’s the quickest way to figure out where a person stands and for me, as a mom, to know who I don’t want my kids hanging around. Family included, unfortunately.

July 21, 2010 at 2:43 pm
(19) art morgan says:

If you want to see racisum have a white person walk through a black neighborhood any time day or night. Then have a black person walk through ANY white neighborhood. Some sections of the Okland Colosseum, white people will be threaten to remain there even though their assigned seat is there. If you happen to have a female with you, crud and vulgar statements will be made

July 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm
(20) lizdis says:

Justin I think your comments are spot on.

My husband went to the large Tea Party in Washington last year. He was shocked when he returned and found news reporting that there were racist signs there – he took video and we didn’t see any. There was however, a man on the sidelines shouting at the protesters “admit it, you don’t want a black man in the white house!” People ignored him.

We are not as Jennifer puts it “whining white adults who don’t work hard, never went to college and inherited wealth.” We are both college educated in our 30′s and we started a small business with our savings 2 years ago.

We’re not racists either by the way, but we are sick and tired of the outrageous spending in Washington.

July 21, 2010 at 6:57 pm
(21) Marc Manuel says:

The tea party is unamerican. It is trying to take America to go back to a time where America downgraded everyone.

July 21, 2010 at 8:56 pm
(22) Marlene says:

My husband went to a tea party and he said that he saw a lot of older senior citizens expressing their concerns about this out of control government that we have. That is not racism!

July 21, 2010 at 9:11 pm
(23) Michele says:

“I believe the movement is made up of whining white adults, who are the children of Americans considered the citizens of the community. They are individuals who did not have to work as hard, did not receive a college education, who inherited wealth; they are individuals who have had the jobs and the homes in their white neighborhoods, who prefer their children not attend the same schools as other minority children; they are the same people who will choose the death penalty over the practice of abortion; they are the same people who demand gun rights and have shown up to rallies publicly displaying their weapons; they are same individuals who preach diversity, but want whites to lead the effort. They are hypocrites!!!!”

Heeheehee…talk about stereotyping! I am not a member of the Tea Party, which was a genuine grassroots movement toward greater freedom for individuals that was co-opted by Conservatives. I am, however, a Ron Paul supporter and a believer in liberty for all. Yes, I’m white (no caps). I work for my full rent, my utilities, my food, my Internet, and my little bits of luxury like coffee and scented soap at a slob job, just like most of us worker bees in the world. I didn’t finish college, not due to lack of intellect or laziness, but because our great national government considered my father, a nurse, too “rich” to offer me grants, and at the time I didn’t consider scholarships. My stepson attends public school, just like other children around, although he and many other (non-white!) neighborhood children used to attend a now-closed Catholic elementary school because the quality of education was better. I oppose the death penalty and abortion, considering both to be beneath civilized man. I support responsible gun ownership and use because I oppose the idea of a police state, and I have no problem with citizens carrying guns. As long as they aren’t using them unless absolutely necessary for self-defense, why should I care? I don’t preach diversity, because I have better things to do. I certainly don’t expect whites to “lead the way”, and find it funny when white Democrats act like they know what’s best for poor blacks. What I do expect is that whites will have an equal and proportionate say as everyone else in how they live their own lives and the protection of individual liberties and rights. I believe in the crazy idea that minorities have the same ability to succeed as whites and certainly don’t need any condescending Big Brother to “help” them out.

July 22, 2010 at 12:33 am
(24) Larry says:

National Tea Party is an outcast party and yet to find their bearing right, left or center they are confused and scared to see a black American ruling so well and beating them all to their games. No United States President in recent times starting from Nixon that had achieved so much in so little time as President Obama. Tell me one if you know. The change that the majority of Americans were yearning and voted for during the Obama election is now gradually evolving this is only the beginning of good things to come to the majority of American populace. Think of all Obama administration achievements in less than two years he has suceeded where others have failed or scared to thread/step his threshold is high very high indeed.It is a matter of time Tea Party will soon become history because of their racial approach unless they change towards liberalism and accept all people as one, no black no white but individualism. Mr. Obama is like a lion of Juda who has dismantled the machinery of hypocrites to give freedom to all and stamp out the maggots/idiots who only believe in whites supremacy. America is a land of freedom and opportunty, built by our forefathers for the freedom of all and by the freed “slaves” for the people of the world to be free and our Mr. President Obama is a product of freedom and epitome of greatness. I predict soon there will be peace in Middleast where Israel and Palestine will have independent states and be good neighbors, embrace each others as sisters and brothers, where unprecedent peace will exist, all because Mr. Obama is a man of peace and logic.

July 22, 2010 at 7:50 am
(25) Mr. Dana W. Carlson says:

I would have to say both yes and no to that one. Some elements may be racist but I also think that the Tea Party feel threatened by Obama’s charisma and try to paint him as socialist, when, in fact, he’s far more pragmatic than what anyone gives him credit for. The Tea Party movement does not speak for the majority of Americans and are sore losers to boot.

July 22, 2010 at 9:30 am
(26) cynthia says:

If we are not to be racist against any one then why it the term African American is used at all? I am an American! I am not refered to as an German/Irish/ English/Cherokee American when people speek about me or my family. We dont refer to others always as Cuban Americans or Asian Americans or Irish Americans or Polish Americans we are all American! I personally think it it reverse racist to alway have to say Afican Americans or else you are considered racist. Is that stating that they are a different American than I am? As for a birth certificate Hmmmmmmm well does Mr President have one? If so show it to the public. What does he have to hide? How did he get his passport if he doesnt have one? I had to show my birth certificate to get mine. As for sore losers this Tea Pary is what this Great country is about the freedom to speak out against or for what you yourself believe in. This is what so many have DIED to protect is this FREEDOM to have a differant opinion than our neighbor

July 22, 2010 at 2:59 pm
(27) Martha Clay says:

I think our perception of the Tea Party is based on what the media wants you to believe. I have never been to a Tea party rally so I do not know what goes on there and would never speak to it. I Think you should go to a party Nadra and then report on what you see. That is good journalism. By the way I agree that the NAACP should change its name considering that it references itself as colored people. And by the way, If you live in America and was born in America then you are an American. If you was born in Africa and came to America to become a citizen then you truly may call yourself an African-American. Just cause your skin color may be brown or black does not make you African-American. I’ve never heard anyone referred to as an African-English, African-German, African-Chinese, African-whatever. I think you get the picture.

July 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm
(28) Lynne says:

Can someone please show me a sign that they think is racist, so I can make a decision as to what is racist about it?
Lynne

July 22, 2010 at 4:20 pm
(29) JamesD says:

So why is the NAACP not labeled a racist organization. They profit from diversity. They survive on racism.

July 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm
(30) Jeff says:

Jeff – I doubt that you are a black man, but either way you don’t know what you are talking about. You think this Tea partier’s rant was satirical, therefore not racist? As Nadra states the guy suggests blacks would prefer the dehumanizing experience of slavery because they don’t like to think, make decisions or face consequences. Thanks Nadra and thanks also to JohnLindsay for taking the time to “school” the rest of us. I wish I could be as succinct as both of you!

July 22, 2010 at 11:38 pm
(31) Roman says:

No we are not racist. My brother-in-law is black, I love black people as much as other races. Calling tea party racist because of disagrement on views is low tactics.

July 23, 2010 at 1:29 am
(32) Brian says:

I’m Asian American and have attended the healthcare town hall (in my own District) in which the Tea Party, the NAACP, and many other organizations have attended. I have to say that were it not for the presence of NAACP and other civil rights organizations, I felt I would be physically attacked by the virulently angry and white mob that made up the Tea Party. I went to the event alone, with no indication of support for any side… the Tea Partiers there treated me with suspicion and antagonism without knowing what I was about. Maybe they weren’t judging me based on race/national origin… they just don’t like my hair color, eye color, and any other non-aryan traits.

July 23, 2010 at 6:24 am
(33) mochridh says:

great quote from a great man that may provide some perspective, if you want it to…

We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.
– “Martin Luther King

July 25, 2010 at 8:31 pm
(34) Robert J. Ray says:

Please take a look at Mr. Robert J. Ray’s new book on race relations, called The Black and White Rationale…Authour House

July 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm
(35) Alan says:

Could we all agree that not all Tea Party supporters are racist……..yet almost assuredly all racists are indeed Tea Party supporters?

I doubt the Tea Party supporters here would admit to that……but I do think you should consider the possibility, and what – if anything – that means to you.

If it matters for reference…..I’m a white guy.

July 26, 2010 at 7:43 pm
(36) Ty dePass says:

It’s disturbingly clear that most responders to this thread have no clue to the meanings, derivations, or correct usage of the terms they’re throwing about. Oh, would that racism were merely a matter of bad attitudes/behaviors expressed interpersonally.
“Racism,” as implied by the “ism,” is a self-reinforcing SYSTEM of laws, customs, + habits-of-mind that promotes + defends the ideology of 1hite Supremacy — a particular odious social construct created to justify the kidnap, rape, exploitation, theft, + genocide fueling the European conquest of the New World. and b/c Racism was/is designed to perpetuate white-advantage/not-white-disadvantage, individuals (or groups) who either willingly or tacitly partake of/defend this arrangement are “racists.”
TEA Party apologists have gone to great lengths to decouple Racism from the ideology of White Supremacy to paint themselve as “victims” of “reverse racism” — substiting interpersonal animus (prejudice, bias) for longstanding racialized disparity. consistent w/this ahistorical + cynically myopic view, the problem lies in the mere mention or reference to “race,” rather than the system of Racism, which both gives race its meaning + consequences.
is the TEA Party “racist”? the answer is not reducable to “a few bad apples” or the presence/absence of darkfaces @ their rallies. if/when the TEA Party reaches consensus on a coherent set of desired policy outcomes (as opposed to their shrill whining over imagined loss), we’ll be in a firmer position to judge who benefits + who will carry the burden.
lastly, it’s not particularly useful for members of the class least affected by racism to validate the experience of those who are. – tdp

July 28, 2010 at 3:51 pm
(37) Kelly says:

I have personal experience that Tea Party people are racist. The first was a self proclaimed Tea Party leader that asked me if I would say that I liked Sarah Palin. When I would not say it, he then called the President a m***er fu**ing ni**er. The second time right after that was talking to a couple that are Tea Party people and admitted that they hate mexicans. Excusing themselves from it saying that eveyone has some prejudice in them. Another time to a family that even their kids do not think God loves Mexicans as much as white people. So, after calm and considerate conversation, they seem ok with letting out their real ideals and values, which are racist.

August 2, 2010 at 3:32 pm
(38) Osay says:

The Shuttle from third grade to Prison
There is and has been within the so called educational system here in America a carefully planned and conceived system to target and profile our young black males as early as the third grade. They are being targeted and profiled with one specific goal; that goal is the “introduction for them into prison. First of all let me preface this entire article with this statement concerning “integration’ of the public school system here in America. I personally feel that integration was and is one of the worst single laws passed by congress and experienced by blacks in this racist system in the past hundred years. Our children today are being taught by those who don’t have a clue as to “who” they are, our history, religious beliefs and traditions. To allow our children to be taught by those who collectively hate them is akin to the Jews allowing the Nazis to educate their children. Before I go any further let me be specific in saying there are many good and spiritual whites who have sacrificed all for us; even died in the struggle for equality. Collectively there are far more who have devoted their entire lives to our destruction as black people.

The system has systematically eliminated most of our black male teachers so as not to provide our children with positive role models. They are now targeting the females as well. They are being taught a Euro centric agenda which in itself is totally erroneous, biased and distorted. The end results for most so called “black scholars” who have been taught and trained in their Ivy League schools for the most part are presented as the ultimate “white man” thinking machines. They think like the white man , vote like him and in some cases attempt to talk and act like him; how tragic. We have been systemically taught to hate ourselves, that we have no history worthy of reporting and should only study courses designed to award us careers in serving whites. Those of you like myself many years ago who prayed and sincerely wished that this mans heart would soften; FORGET IT! It will never happen. This statement is addressed to the racist element of the Caucasian race not to those good whites who have worked hard and tirelessly to combat this evil practice known as racism.

The entire world knows the history of the United States of America; they know all too well that this society is hell bent on the total destruction of the black man, his family and yes even the unborn. What did William Bennett say some time back? He said that “in order to reduce crime in this country that we should
abort every black male fetus. This is largely supported by many whites for the simple reason it’s more convenient blaming us for the ills of this society and not looking in the mirror. Statistics from the FBI, the SBI and every crime recording agency clearly reports that the most heinous, vicious and evil crimes perpetrated in America the last four hundred plus years have all been committed by WHITE MEN. How many black serial killers do you know of? The mass murderers, serial rapists, pedophiles (men that rape children and bury them alive), corporate criminals, school house and mall murderers (young white males) spouses that kill each other for profit, children that kill their parents, cannibals and any others not mentioned are “all WHITE MEN”.

many have the audacity to say they’re afraid of a black man coming down the street; that’s a pathetic statement and one that’s been manufactured here in America the past four hundred years. America has produced movies portraying the black man as a rapist, murderer and a beast when exactly the opposite is true. I know what the white man is capable of doing; history has recorded the acts of genocide, barbarism and torture. Africa was raped three times and literally stripped of all the diamonds, the minerals and oil and it wasn’t done by blacks. Many fought to their deaths during the Civil war to keep in place the most heinous, evil and satanic practice known to man; known as chattel slavery. Blacks have never recovered from the extreme poverty suffered after having every thing stolen from them. Our property, homes ,possessions, livestock and everything of value was taken through the barrels of guns and lynchings. It has been reported that over 17,000 blacks were lynched by whites and until this day collectively they feel they don’t owe so much as an apology.

Concerning the “prison from school” pipeline, our prisons today are for profit institutions and the rich still profit from our labor. These corporations disguising themselves as prisons are listed on the New York Stock Exchange and have Board of Directors with one goal in mind; too keep the prisons full and profitiable
In the early 1900′s blacks were summarily picked up and charged with crimes that the authorities knew full well they were innocent of. Many judges having taken off their white sheet worn as Klansmen would change into the black robes and sentence these innocent souls strictly to provide free labor for the wealthy. It hasn’t changed even as we speak in 2010. Upwards of 75% of blacks in prison today are there because they plea bargained for crimes either they didn’t commit or were sentenced disproportionately compared to their white counterparts. Our children are in grave danger because we as adults and guardians can’t see or refuse to believe what’s going on. They are horribly mistreated by those who don’t want them there in the first place. Any resistant or outward signs of rebellion by our youth and the system immediately want to put them on psychotropic ( mood altering-mind changing) drugs and classify them ADD, ODS or some other name they’ve created the past 40 years. They mistreat them, label them and they’re automatically put on the list of future inmates.

Unless this entire system is mandated through tough laws to teach our children their correct and great history, we will continue looking down instead of up. Our children can not be trained or educated to be Europeans; thank God. We’re of African descent and have no wish whatsoever to be Europeans. Thank God Dr James Loewen (author of “Lies my teacher told me” had the God given courage, tenacity and determination to sue the hell out of the state of Mississippi and force them to teach African History. Africans want no part of a legacy of hatred, murder, genocide or thefts of nations. We subscribe to the principles of Tehuti and Maat which dictate truth, love, balance, law and all that’s spiritually good. We’ve always believed in unity, the concept of the village, respect for the elders and each other and the earth. After 400 years of this misguided and misinformed education this society forced upon us, many of our strongest values and principles are being lost. For God’s sake black people at least be informed of this educational holocaust that is happening around and in this society daily. We must stop it before all is lost. Hotep……….may God be with us. Osei

August 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm
(39) Craig T says:

Why is it when the left makes biased and racial remarks there is not a peep, but when the right does there is uproar? Why is there not equal treatment of both parties?

WHo said that “we have legal abortion to thank for the declining crime rate in America?” It was a democrat progressive, not a republican. SAOme of the racist cooment on the left were far mroe outrageous then the few nominal comments on the right. I think its time to point out racism whereever it exists and to stop playing poltics with our humnanity.

August 2, 2010 at 8:59 pm
(40) Dyan Logan says:

watching from Canada and thought you may want to knw how foreigners see it.not all members are Racist but they don’t see anything wrong with aligning themselves with a movement that is riddled with hate mongers. failure to stand up to racism in all its forms when faced with it is approval pure and simple.

August 6, 2010 at 6:41 pm
(41) John says:

Hey Osay, just so you are aware, the very next day after you wrote this there was a mass murder in Manchester, Conn. The man shot and killed 8 innocent people and injured 2 more before killing himself. He was black.

August 7, 2010 at 9:44 pm
(42) Greg says:

Racism is a funny thing. Of course it’s never a good thing but stop and think about your own feelings toward the members of some other race (most often white if you are black and vice-versa). You may say to yourself that it is only a certain cross-section of that race with whom you have issues. “I don’t like the way they dress” or “I don’t like the way they talk.” Maybe it’s something more meaningful such as, “I don’t like their stance on this political issue or that one.” Whatever bothers you about these representatives of some group to which you do not belong, in your mind it often becomes representative of the group itself and you find yourself making exceptions for those members of the group who do not share this quality, behavior, or belief. Nonetheless, we often attribute something we don’t like to a whole group of people many of whom are completely undeserving of our ire.
Sadly, racism breeds racism and this may never change unless someday the entire world’s population is so interbred that there is only one race. Of course they’d just find some new dividing line.
Osay made the statement that black children should not be taught to be Europeans. I agree, wholeheartedly but neither should while children in the U.S. All of our children should be taught to be Americans. They should learn white history and black history and they should learn it in such a fashion that all are treated with respect.

August 9, 2010 at 1:55 pm
(43) LOL says:

The writer of this crap, Nadra is clearly a hypocrite.

Pointing out some one using a ‘outdated term’ that many other black groups use is the nail in the coffin, and shows the prior paragraphs of deceit and liberal/democratic talking points truly do have no standing.

Basically what she is saying is, Biden AND Obama, which also what Biden said, both agree the tea party isn’t racist. (Convenient how she left that part out. Which also proves Nadra’s intent isn’t facts, its more bias. ) Are racist, because a few signs that were shunned by the REAL tea party people? A quick search for ‘tea party infiltrator’ will prove that. How ever Nadra is to stuck on the lie this all revolves around racism to see any thing that doesn’t go along with her attempt to paint a group as racist because they disagree with some one she supports.

Then acts as if the racist NAACPs resolution is some how the reason for people with in the tea party getting booted? LMAO! Gimme a break Nadra. This article is nothing more then in factually stupid. One more blind follower calling racism, while proving themselves as racist by leaving out facts, and relying strictly on assumptions of what only blacks are saying.

You’ve been schooled Nadra, try again, blind following racist.

People, usually the real racist, are those who cry racism constantly with out any real evidence. Nadra just proved herself to be one of those people.

August 13, 2010 at 5:47 pm
(44) Brian Uhe says:

I sure the Tea Party didn’t plan for this, but their carelessness is what caused it because when you look like you want to bring back a time where the minority were second citizens, then you’re going to attract the wrong people because the racists believe that the Tea Party wants to make the U.S. into a all white Christian country, and mocking the president in a childish way didn’t help.

Face it, people, the U.S. was never a perfect country and the down side with patriotism, if mixed with lack of thought, is that it makes it seem that the past was a Utopia, that it truly lived up to the ideas and had no problems which is false. A good patriot is someone who knows the ugliness in one’s own country’s history and faces it, instead of editing it to make it glorious like the Tea Party has been doing.

The Tea Party has been mostly about “PATRIOTIC IMAGERY” where they wave the country’s flag and expect people to see them as capable leaders.

If not now, then perhaps soon where the leaders will lose control of their party to the perhaps growing number of racists and lose members when they see the party as something they didn’t sign on for.

August 22, 2010 at 5:40 pm
(45) Lane says:

What people fail to realize is that the Tea Party is not a collective movement, but rather a rag-tag collection of frustrated individuals and groups.

Yes, there are racists. It would be foolish to deny it. But to call the whole movement racist detracts from their (our!) greater concerns.

If you don’t know what those concerns are, you obviously know nothing about the Tea Party. If you don’t know and call it racist, you’re being ignorant.

And no, the concern is not that a black man is running the country. It is how he and others are running it, though that’s another argument entirely.

I have been to several tea parties and have seen no racism, but I know it’s out there. I’ve been offended by several signs. (Our President looking like the Joker? Calm down, Zacheriah)

Now, the Tea Party is taking shape, and those racist anomalies are falling out.

To persist in this way is kind of ridiculous, and it supports my growing suspicion that the problems people point out have less to do with racism, and more to do with wanting the whole Tea Party stamped out.

August 31, 2010 at 6:28 pm
(46) Ian says:

I just don’t understand the American mentality: so Obama brings in health care and suddenly there’s whipped up panic of communism and socialism. Well looking round Europe I don’t see much communism or socialism and yet most if not all countries have some form of health care. Indeed youir great hero Tony Blair actually won his first election on the promise of saving the UK’s National Health Service.
So if Beck, Palin and Fox News understood what communism really meant they’d see they are mistaken. But of course its merely scare tactics and lies. More lies from the Murdoch empire who never stops peddling rubbish in the UK.

September 15, 2010 at 11:26 am
(47) sharon says:

Unfortunatly, there are all kinds of prejudice and I would hope that with any party that they would recognize it and remove it.

September 15, 2010 at 11:41 am
(48) Art says:

Nadra:
We can say whatever we want….. Just look arround the Tea Party, and what you see, IT IS.

September 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm
(49) Bettylee says:

I think that there an awful lot crazy and stuped people that dont know what they are supporting or talking about,lets just go along with the croud that will get us the most attiention.that is what I think of the Tea Party…..

September 21, 2010 at 5:32 pm
(50) brooklyn says:

Whenever conservatives do not speak out against racism that make them racist. When you have U.S. Congressmen and Senators cursing other African American Congressmen and Senators the N word as well as people from the Tea Party cursing them the N word that makes them racist. You have NAZI and Klan members who are mostly conservatives and lives within the TEA Party. People like Sarah Palin are RACIST. The issue of immigration is all about RACE. If they do not like Hispanics go back to EUROPE this is not there country. Lets make that clear. They killed off the native Indians, and use the Africans to built it. Send them back

September 21, 2010 at 5:41 pm
(51) brooklyn says:

The tea party and Sarah Palin are NAZI and KLAN members. Be careful. Hitlers wife is back. They HATE Jews blacks, Asians, and Hispanics. The issue of immigration is ALL ABOUT RACE. NOTHING MORE. REMEMBER YOUNG WHITES VOTED FOR THE PRESIDENT. OLDER WHITES CANT STAND HIM. THE DAYS OF JIM CROW THEY WANT BACK. ONLY IN THERE DREAMS. WHITES ARE A MINORITY IN THE WORLD. THEY DON T WANT THAT HERE IN THE U>S

September 26, 2010 at 3:17 am
(52) alive in texas says:

@brooklyn,
You are obviously on something… why don’t you go back to sleep and let the meds wear off. @Ian: the healthcare plan is a bunch of smoke to help the insurance companies: stocks of all those companies rose 8.5% the day after it was signed. We have executives of those companies getting 500 million dollar bonuses last quarter. My personal insurance rose by 10% and my mother on medicare has also started spending more on now new ‘non covered’ items. PEOPLE WAKE UP: it doesn’t matter if the politician has an R or a D after their name. We are all getting f’d. Everyone is nitpicking at the tea party, blasting them, marginalizing them, and targeting them. Recognize that they represent the anger we have with the way things are going. I’m all for the tea party: guess what, I’m not white either. I just fear that they powers that be will absorb them into the Republican party and it will be more of the same.

Also @brooklyn… “use the Africans to built it.” check your history books after the dope wears off: blacks, chinese, irish, mexicans… we all built it. Take your racist hate rant elsewhere; no, just blow it out your a$$.

October 6, 2010 at 7:21 pm
(53) Ed says:

Part 1
I have been to one Tea Party event, and plan to go to another. I brought my 5 year old son with me. I am white, and my wife is black. We walked through the crowd and had multiple conversations with fellow teapartiest. None of them gave me any dirty looks or even look surprised when I was walking around with a five year old boy that is obviously not white.

I see many comments through here saying that the leadership of the tea parties are not doing enough to make sure there is not racism. You will have to remember, this is a true grass roots movement. Therefore it is not as organized as some of the political events that you might be familiar with. Will there be racists there? I am sure there will. But that does not make the tea parties racist. There are going to be women there, does that me the tea party is all women. There will be skinny people there, does that mean the tea party is against overweight people. Some people will believe in pro-life, some pro-choice. Some will believe in the death penalty, and some will not. Why is this?

The tea party is a group of people who believe that government has gotten too big and that we are overtaxed.

October 6, 2010 at 7:22 pm
(54) Ed says:

Part 2
Why is your attention being brought to race? Because the majority of the leadership of the two main parties do not want to see government stop growing, and they want to continue to take more of our money.

I believe it was convenient to label the tea parties as racist because they developed while there was a black man as president.

In the past the politicians have been good about keeping to the frog in boiling water theory. If you place a frog in boiling water he will jump out, if he place him in room temperature water and slowly increase it he will stay in and boil. If all these taxes were added or increased at the same time the public would have been outraged, so instead one is added on here and there, and they are increased one at a time slowly enough so you don’t notice the difference each time.

But, with Obama came the “change”. The change was towards more government programs that would increase taxes.

This Change was faster than the normal slow increase in heat, and some of the frogs finally jumped out of the water. It is a simple principle, just because A happened before B doesn’t mean that A caused B. It was not a black man becoming president that caused this, it was a large group of people realizing that the heat was turned up.

Meanwhile all of the frogs that are still boiling need to place a reason as to why the rest of the frogs jumped out. It can not be because there is something wrong with the water, because the frogs that stayed in are enlightened and educated and would realize if the water wasn’t right. It must be something with the frogs that jumped out.

November 1, 2010 at 11:41 pm
(55) Dave says:

The Tea Party movement came to fruition as a direct result of Barack Obama being elected President. I am a black conservative and even I can clearly see this. Capitalism and lower taxes strengthen the country and for that I agree with most of the ideals of the Tea Party. However, I firmly believe that there are some non-blacks that are afraid of what appears to be a new order of power. A non-white person is now the leader of the free world and it has shifted the foundation for some individuals or groups out there. The sad part is that our President is 50% white but that is not enough. I pray and wish that all of this was only about the country and business ownership and taxes but my head is not in the sand. I remain conservative in all of my views especially when it comes to judging a person by the content of his or her character and ability as opposed to genetics. As a disclaimer, my life is diverse and not conclusive to any one race as my comment is not towards non-blacks as a whole by any means. In the end, we are all the human race.

November 2, 2010 at 12:26 am
(56) Techni says:

“I think the public has seen too many racist posters at Tea Party rallies to write off the group members who carry them as fringe participants. If these so-called fringe members feel comfortable showing up to gatherings with such signs and aren’t being reprimanded by others, it’s easy to see why the public would get the idea that the Tea Party is a hotbed of racism”

But when people fear muslims for that same reason, they get called bigots.

November 2, 2010 at 12:56 am
(57) Techni says:

“The mass murderers, serial rapists, pedophiles (men that rape children and bury them alive), corporate criminals, school house and mall murderers (young white males) spouses that kill each other for profit, children that kill their parents, cannibals and any others not mentioned are “all WHITE MEN”. ”

Actually no, most are not.

November 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm
(58) Angry Black Man (Obama) says:

Lets be honest people half of the Tea Party owns only a high school diploma (if even that) and is scum. The other half are swell people who just want to let their voices be heard.

I understand that, but there no one will see the entirety of a group when even a small percentage of the group is denouncing the man that represents them. Yes, white people Obama represents us! How can one stand up and call their elected official names of hate and denounce his Muslim culture while calling themselves Christian people. Obviously being Christian calls for slaughtering the name of the guy in charge, but thats besides the point. What I’m trying to get at is that the Tea Party though they mean well will never be fully understood well first off because of stupid whites who think their public education (who the hell thinks Americas pure capitalist? Obviously its part socialist look at public education!!!!) will suffice in todays world and second because we (especially myself) fail to see the the true issues, but instead focus on race!

By the way I who was born and raised by a Democratic BLACK army veteran (Just wondering if I was born on an Army base in Panama and my dads black do I have to provide a birth certificate?) am a self confessed racist I don’t like whites because of the way my mama was treated, but thanks to them setting up Affirmative Action I got into Brown virtually for free<3<3<3<3<3

November 3, 2010 at 5:06 pm
(59) Charles says:

Where was the tea party during the Clinton years? Or the Bush eight years its not until we have the first african american president that you hear of the tea party. When Bush was in Irag spending 10 million dollars a month. I didnt see any tea party folk pro testing.

November 7, 2010 at 3:10 am
(60) SwoonCraft says:

The Tea Party added two magnificent new black faces to the Congress with Allen West in Florida, and Tim Scott in South Carolina, Republicans also launched two new Hispanic stars this election: Sen.-elect Marco Rubio from Florida and the new governor of New Mexico, Susanna Martinez. And we got a bonus Sikh — Nikki Haley, the new governor of South Carolina. MSNBC is still searching for the “Republicans are racist” angle in all of this.

January 21, 2011 at 8:05 am
(61) b says:

that don’t mean nothen u can have a few black faces dont mean they isnt racist

March 10, 2011 at 12:40 am
(62) Ande76 says:

SwoonCraft: Just remember Clarence Thomas is black as well. Yet, it was an insult to replace Thurgood Marshall with Clarence Thomas. Clarence Thomas was unqualified and couldn’t touch the achievements of Thurgood Marshall, yet Bush appointed Thomas a supreme court justice. Did Bush seriously just look to find a black Republican to throw on the Supreme Court? That’s EXACTLY how it appeared – especially since Thomas was unqualified for the position! Bush insulted black people with that move. Putting a black face in office means nothing if that person cares nothing for or about black people! Clarence Thomas sexually assaulted a black women while married to a white woman. Does he have serious psychological problems with being black? What’s his problem? Clarence Thomas was simply a black face who does not represent the interests of the majority of black America. (See poll after poll after poll in Ebony, Jet, and Essence over the last 2 decades. By the way, you don’t have to be black to read these magazine especially since they reflect the interests of a large number of Americans.) So what’s the difference if he’s black or not?! Black America would have DEFINITELY preferred a white man who’s values represented the interests of the majority of black Americans over Clarence Thomas ANY DAY! And if Bush was really stuck on appointing a “black face” he could have EASILY found a QUALIFIED black person to appoint to the Supreme Court but he chose not too! He chose to appoint an unqualified black man who did not represent the interests of black America! REALLY?! So don’t give me that.

March 10, 2011 at 12:41 am
(63) Ande76 says:

Black people will not vote for a black person whose interests and values do NOT represent them! But a lot of white Americans had problems voting for a black man even if those white people were democrats – look at WEST VIRGINIA which typically votes democratic! West Virginia ran far away this time! So even though our president is black, America’s still racist, and the fact that another an extremely “conservative” (I don’t see how they’re “conservative” when they’re gun touting people who portray themselves as vigilantes) party claiming to be Christian (Christ NEVER taught HATE) rose up during his term is not an accident.

LOL: Learn the definition of racism!

Art Morgan: You sound like a white man from…oh 2011…I thought it was 1920 for a moment. P.S. – There wouldn’t be “white” and “black” neighborhoods if white people didn’t move out every time a black person moved in.

Maria and Justin: Name 1 other president in the history of America who has had their nationality questioned AS OFTEN AS OBAMA HAS? NOT 1 other president! John McCain has NEVER been as heavily pressed as Obama so NEXT! White-Americans do not consider Black Americans to be Americans! SIMPLE! You know where he was born. You know his life story. You just refuse to believe it because he is a BLACK PERSON and America IS RACIST! (Thank you KATY).

March 10, 2011 at 12:41 am
(64) Ande76 says:

Lisa: The Tea Party is NOT the 1st True Grassroots movement in this country…the Women’s Rights Movement from 1848 to 1920 was, followed by a number of other movements including the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s! These were grassroots movements that started with unknown individuals then spread.

JamesD: You really have to ask? Unfortunately, just like all HBCUs, the NAACP was created in response to the widespread racism from white people in America. It is not a racist organization because ANYONE can join and the NAACP does NOT post signs at rallies calling white people “crack***” – unlike the KKK which is both a racist and terrorist organization yet the FBI considered civil rights leaders possible terrorists and threats to America instead of KKK members! You know why? Because threats to black people don’t matter since white people don’t consider black people Americans! The biggest hypocrites are those Americans who ALWAYS claim to abide by the US Constitution but can oppress a group of people for so long and still not even care to make up for this injustice.

Techni: WOW…you actually have the audacity to suggest that the number of muslims who have been proven terrorists out of the 1.57 BILLION of muslims that are in the world is justification to associate the entire muslim population with terrorism???!!! There are 3 times as many Muslims in the world as there are people who live in America and you really don’t think that there is something wrong with correlating terrorism with being muslim considering the very small percentage of muslims who’ve been found to be terrorists? WOW!!! Well, according to polls, tea partiers have a higher percentage of racist people in their party than the percentage of muslims that are terrorists. Yet you have a problem even THINKING that the tea party could be racist. WOW. Really.

March 10, 2011 at 12:42 am
(65) Ande76 says:

Charles: You are so correct! As I mentioned, it’s no accident that that tea party rose up during Obama’s presidency but were no where to be found when Bush spent our tax money on an unnecessary war that was based on lie after lie, killing many of our brothers and sisters in vain, and driving America into debt while Cheney’s oil buddies made record profits?! And those who voted for Bush (my bad, Bush was appointed to the presidency by the mostly Republican supreme court in 2000) didn’t check Bush’s record of driving Texas companies into debt?! REALLY?! And you would let him run an entire country?! What did they think Bush was going to do with America? DUH!!! But where were the tea partiers then? NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.

We Americans are the biggest hypocrites in the world! I don’t appreciate how Obama dares tell African leaders in Egypt and Libya that they need to bring democracy to their countries. REALLY OBAMA???!!! There isn’t even true democracy in America!!! Black people still don’t have true equal rights and Obama you dare tell Egypt and Libya ANYTHING?! FIX racist America, Obama, only then can you even offer suggestions to other countries! As a black man in America, Obama, president or not, you really look silly trying to tell a country that they need to bring democracy to their country when you, as a black man in America, can’t even have white people not want to call you or actual call you the “N” word. But I know, the only cure for ignorance is education. And I mean a thorough INTERNATIONAL education since American education really counts for next to nothing.

And by the way, that whole letting Bush and Cheney off for war crimes is aiding and abiding criminals – it’s a FELONY OBAMA!

March 10, 2011 at 4:06 am
(66) justin says:

You just ended your column by saying people of color. That’s the same thing as saying colored people.

April 9, 2011 at 9:52 am
(67) RideThisHandsomeBlackCowboy says:

Ande 76,racist though the Tea Baggers-err,Tea Partiers (well,a significant
number of them,anyway)are,saying that African Americans lack equal
rights in LUDICROUS BEYOND BELIEF!!(I’m an African Canadian whose mother was born in Detroit,Mich.,July 22,1917,and given the overt and covert racism she experienced from girlhood,were she alive to see an African American President,she would be giddy with glee EVERY
DAY!!!)
As for Pres. Obama’s incursions into Libyan and Egyptian politics and
civil strife,as much as they can be intelligently argued,make no mistake,the VERY FEW over-lords-aided by most U.S. Presidents in the 20th century and W.-who run and terrorize the afflicted citizens of both countries SHOULD BE REMOVED,though ideally by domestic coup d’
etat,or failing that,U.N. and Arab Union action.
Finally,though racism continues to dog African Americans,they are steadily becoming a political and,MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY,AN
ECONOMIC FORCE (1.2 trillion-dollar African American purchasing
power is estimated by 2012).Contrast that to the slavery and degradation visited upon most Africans by their many despotic “lea-
ders”-try getting Jackson,West,Dyson,Farra-Clown and other popin-
jay “African American spokes-people’ to even acknowledge this situation-and you can see the hypocrisy in comparing African Amer-
icans’ and continental Africans’ lives!!!

April 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm
(68) gphx says:

I’m old enough to notice the Obama presidency is eerily similar to the Carter presidency in so many ways. President Obama is facing similar criticisms for similar policies and problems. Was it racist when people had the same problems with Carter? Both presided over record inflation and unemployment. Both blamed the people. Obviously we caused oil prices by using too much. We better change the kind of lightbulbs we use to more expensive ones. If gas is too expensive unemployed people should pay $50,000 for a new hybrid vehicle. Presidents trashing the dollar causing rampant inflation had nothing to do with it. Sorry but it’d be racist not to give Obama the same thrashing as Carter for the same stupid stuff.

April 19, 2011 at 12:01 am
(69) Gaia says:

It’s amazing to me that no one on this thread talks about the man preceding Obama who launched two wars unjustly, and is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people (yes, they are still human even if they’re foreign.) The man who SPENT the money on the wars and killed legislation that would have prevented the debacle on Wall Street.

And it’s amazing to me that no one on this thread has the courage or decency to apologize for those out-of-control fringers in the Tea party — as in “Sorry — I don’t like those people either and I’m sad that people think they represent our group.”

Every Tea Party defense is tinged with anger or outright blame on somebody else. That’s why I don’t like the Tea Party movement. That’s why I’m afraid of them. They are angry and resentful. They own none of their actions.

I don’t see the left doing that. As a matter of fact, they are the punching bag of the right more often than not. And I’m getting tired of it.

I believe in working hard. I believe in universal health care. I believe in caring for those who cannot work hard — who were born without the advantages that many of us were born with. I believe in righting the wrongs that we have inflicted on minority groups for centuries. They were beaten, murdered, denied the right to vote — shoved into ghettos and that is STILL happening. How the heck do you expect them to advance when their parents and fathers were denied any ability to improve themselves for for centuries?

I know. I was a woman who fought for civil rights and feminist rights. I got talked down too, insulted, told I was stupid. For protesting against Vietnam I got beaten. Does everyone have to be strong enough to take that kind of abuse in order to move forward? I hope not. And I am sure not one of you experienced it. You just don’t know what you’re talking about.

April 27, 2011 at 11:54 am
(70) blackyb says:

I am white and want Alan West for President, so if anyone is racist, it is the ignorant bunch on the left. You people are nothing short of ignorant to go against Truth and principals to make it look like you are working to help the poor and disenfranchised in this country. You kill babies and want to kill off older people who know the Truth and can help the younger generations. You will stand before God one of these days whether you believe in Him or not. Just because you do not, does not it so. You should read Roman 1:22-35 or so. KJV.
That Bible is put here for a road map to help people and some of you seem to think your party and liberal friends will keep you out of hell.

April 27, 2011 at 11:58 am
(71) blackyb says:

Why didn’t you put my e-mail up? Hiding the Truth?
No only are you going to lose your freedoms, but you are helping lead this country into something you will never be able to save your children or grandchildren from. Read Romans 1:22-35.

April 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm
(72) blackyb says:

I saw my comment, so disregard the part that says about you not putting it up. Thank you for that. But the rest of the message should be read and considered.

April 30, 2011 at 5:38 am
(73) D. Lee Wilson says:

The first comment posted after I read the article summed up my feelings pretty well. Why must every organization that opposes Obama, or the liberal agenda be labeled “racist” ?The T.E.A. party is one of the most culturally diverse groups to which I have ever been involved. This is a fact of which I am truly proud.

May 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm
(74) roger says:

If the tea party is such a raciest organization, then why do they support Herman Cain? Seems to me that the tea party really doesn’t care about anything other than common sense policy. Really, if you wanted to see unbalanced and crazy people, look no further than a liberal event.

June 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm
(75) Anwar Amir Isreal says:

@ Maria I find it very funny that people who beneift off of the priveleges that an unlevel playing field has awarded them, are almost always the first to claim that the playing field should remain unequal.

Your argument for captilism and the racist goverment that we live to continue their worldwide economic and material subjection, would be fair t if all of the beneifts from the last 400 plus years of slavery, imperialism, colonialism and captilism were removed and then you were pitted against somone of color with the same skill level.

However, your education that you received in fact the very confidence that you even have as a caucasion woman influences the way that you think and express yourself in interviews reletaionships and your so called creativity.

If you had been raised as someone with an mark of unfavorableness against you, instead of a priveleged person who is constantly being reinforced as being the beautiful flower of society and being catered to over other groups of woman then you more than likely wouldn’t be the woman you are today.

June 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm
(76) victoria says:

Everyone is throwing around the term “first black president”, but did we forget he’s also 1/2 white?

And I don’t care if he’s purple, blue, red or yellow, we all bleed red! There’s one race… the HUMAN race. Maybe if people quit referring to “race” we wouldn’t have so many problems.

Why can’t we all just get along?

August 16, 2011 at 8:54 am
(77) Spez says:

WoW I have never read such an intense article, LoL I guess I need to read more. You guys are simply awesome whether your views are left or right, you all are apart of God’s plan. That is why it is important to remember even the ones that are and was in power is apart of God’s plan, you would be a fool to think otherwise, you would be a fool if you think one particular “party” has say so to how God’s plan will turn out. Please continue to do your part, just be careful as to how you treat people even when your views differ. If I had to have a problem with any of the political rhetoric, it would be the lack of respect for the others views, I mean since he is in power, show some respect.

@Nadra, Thank you for creating this article :-)
@Justin, Thank you for input on the tea party, I see the party in another light, not necessarily good, just i’m open again.
@JohnLindsay, Thank you for your input, with the likes of you and Justin on the scales, the world would stay balanced.

I pray the each of you many blessings and strong health :-)

August 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm
(78) RobertWhite says:

Man, I never knew what a racist I was until I found out that my tea party is racist. And, until tonight I thought that racism was the belief that one race was inherently superior to another, but now I know that’s it’s far more complicated than that. Racism is: when I disagree with what a person of a different race thinks, believes, or says.

Has anybody but me just helplessly fumed over the growth of the Fed for the last 50 years or so? When W. pushed through the first TARP, I guess only we racists were upset enough to organize and to do something like tell people we were taxed enough already. Believe me, no movement the size of the tea party just set up camp in the short time it took to inaugurate Barrack Obama. It is not a racial movement, but one borne of disgust regarding how our federal government operates. It would have grown no matter what president was spending more money than we have. It most certainly would have stabbed McCain in his political heart, just as it is now attacking Obama and our elitist congress. This political nausea of mine is not new and is not based in racism.

I grew up in a community where people worked to earn their own way, where there was low crime, where there was opportunity to learn, and where people helped those who couldn’t pull their own weight. Yep, I must be a racist for wanting to keep those values. I must really hate people who aren’t like me for wanting to live in a community like that.

Shame on anyone who thinks that because I disagree politically with anyone I automatically dislike them or their kind. The tea party is just one way to tell our elected officers that they are doing a lousy job. I cannot understand why you might think me a racist simply because I choose to publicly say, “Get the government off my back!”

August 31, 2011 at 5:21 pm
(79) jon boy says:

okay why can’t we just be honest about this subject of racism.
the US ( as well as most countries) has a history of racism and i am sure we could all find racist within all Color of people .

The problem is if everytime you do not get your way you scream racism eventually people are not going to believe you.
Any rational person has to say Asians, latinos, Indians, Arabs and especially Africans have come to the USA and become very successful You can not blame racism on all your problem if you are black and were born in the USA.
I just went to a predominantly black neighbor and everyone fixing the streets was Latino. Do you really think this is racism or Blacks and for that matter whites who are low income simply do not want to do that work.
I have met too many smart blacks to believe it is racism . Rather unfortunately it is an attitude that i am not responsible for my action because the man is against me.Sorry the man isn’t screwing your woman getting them pregnant and leaving them in poverty. The man isn’t making you comit crimes versus the latino who work hard. Sorry you can not blame racism for all your ills.Take some responsibility.

oh FYI i am a minority as well.

August 31, 2011 at 5:21 pm
(80) jon boy says:

okay why can’t we just be honest about this subject of racism.

oh FYI i am a minority as well.

September 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(81) GS Monks says:

Of COURSE the Tea Baggers are racist! They’re mostly white conservatives, and they’re certainly not your average working Americans. Right Wing Christians are an extremely dishonest bunch, so don’t expect an honest answer from people like Sarah Palin. They’re pathological liars because the world has grown intolerant of bigots and their view of the world and their place in it.

September 6, 2011 at 3:30 pm
(82) soopermexican says:

Ridiculous. Here’s why: http://bit.ly/TPrtRace

September 6, 2011 at 11:55 pm
(83) Harry Wurth says:

I have been to all of the TEA (Taxed Enough Already) party rallies in Paducah, KY. I have yet to see any racial posters, heard any racial slurs or seen any signs of racism at any of these rallies. The ONLY ones that are embracing any signs of racism are the democrats, the NAACP and Obama himself. There have been numbers of the black population attend these rallies so I guess they are racist, also. What about all the black members of the CBC that are hurling the obscene rhetoric toward TEA party members. Are they to be excused for what they are saying because they are victims of the TEA party? What about Obama who called for ” civilaty ” within the parties? Why won’t he call on the democrats & the CBC to refrain from their gutter attacks on people who only want the government to live only on the money they confiscate from WORKING Americans? Why do almost 50% of Americans pay NO INCOME TAX? These same people not only pay no income tax but they also receive a refund. Warren Buffet says he should pay more income tax yet his companies owe millions of dollars in taxes not paid in about 10 years. If he and Obama say they should be paying more in taxes all they have to do is write a check to the U.S. Treasury to pay down the deficit. Have either of them written that check? What do you think?

September 14, 2011 at 11:16 pm
(84) Teabagger says:

The Tea Party is a RACIST group that seeks to destroy education ensuring an indentured and uneducated masses to line their pockets. The educational cuts and social services that the Tea Party wants to cut always seem to disproportionately (by “coincidence”?) affect minorities and specifically african americans. The cover of “political correctness” to not overt show their colors is transparent at best and seems to seep through all their attempts to suppress public disclosure of their true disdain for minorities. It is pathetic to say that “The Tea Party would ask for proof of citizenship of ANY president” How many past Anglo Saxon presidents or presidential clients have been disparaged in such a manner as our first black president?

September 25, 2011 at 5:36 pm
(85) william wayman says:

OK here is the worst of the worst posters that have been out up by huffing ton post and not one of them is racist you may not like some of them but there less offensive than what the black caucus has put out.And there not complaining he is black just that he is a idiot. and last time I checked Bush was called that and so was Regan by the left so that is not racist comment ether.

November 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm
(86) Alex says:

they must be if they want to do this!

May 20, 2012 at 9:34 am
(87) Derek says:

I say if the posters are so offensive SHOW them and let us judge. Anyone who goes against Obama is RACIST however there were republicans and democrats before a African American ran for president!?! Come on guys! Good try though!

June 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm
(88) Rick says:

If you are going to call people racist, then know what you are talking about. I have a list of bills written by Republicans at work. Since the 1860s, EVERY bill written by Republicans that would have helped the blacks was opposed by DEMOCRATS! Every one! That includes the bill to end slavery, the civil Rights bill, and every other one. Not only that, but it was the Democrats that started the KKK! Google it for yourself. And yes, the NAACP is more racist than the Tea Party. Also, why is it that the Black Panthers can say they will kill whitey, and use the word cracker, but no one complains and calls THEM racists?!

June 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm
(89) Rick says:

And BTW, if you don’t know by now that the Tea Party ONLY wants smaller govt and lower taxes and more freedom, then you have your head under a rock!

April 16, 2013 at 4:37 pm
(90) hcg drops says:

Terrific. My thanks for writing that. I’ll definitely come to your site to read more and recommend my coworkers about you.

May 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm
(91) Lorna says:

Ms. Nittle, I notice that you have no pictorial evidence of these supposed racist signs nor citations regarding the alleged racial epithets directed toward black legislators. As for the NAACP, perhaps they should examine their own house and repudiate the well documented intimidation of the New Black Panther Party in front of polling places across the country.

June 8, 2013 at 7:21 pm
(92) Nick P. says:

So tired of the Race card! If one is hoping to end racism it is best to start with the inherent racism found in one’s own race! Many, many of those who scream Racism are deeply giulty of racism themselves! Grow up, stop the whining.

June 11, 2013 at 1:19 pm
(93) Zeebus says:

The Tea Party doesn’t comment one bit about race and doesn’t endorse anything based on race. The Tea Party simply advocates for smaller government.

Because the left HATES that idea, the only method they have of shutting up those they disagree with is to attack them with ad hominems. Racist. Sexist. Homophobes. Bigots. Xenophobes. You get my drift.

No one ever asks the left to prove their assertions, because when you throw out such an awful accusation people just assume they’ll be attacked if they disagree. So everyone shuts up.

Well, dear leftists of America, you can suck my left nut.

October 24, 2013 at 5:11 am
(94) Henna Bartunek says:

Nadra,
Even your response to comments shows you do not listen and perhaps see reality through your particular screen. When a commentator said the only person holding a racist sign at a TEA party function was identified as a liberal Obama supporter, your response was that some TEA partiers hold racist signs. The TEA party was never a racist organization. Your seem to separate yourself from Americans in general. Have you thought about that?

November 14, 2013 at 8:21 pm
(95) Paul says:

Yes, yes, yes. No question. Tea partiers are by far the most racist people in the USA and possibly the world.

November 14, 2013 at 8:23 pm
(96) Pau says:

Yes, they are by far some of the most racist people I have ever come in contact with.

November 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm
(97) Dawn says:

Zeebus, I’m a fiscal conservative and still KNOW the Tea Partiers are as racist as they come. Denial is NOT a river in Egypt.

December 23, 2013 at 12:50 pm
(98) 2013 Tax Extension says:

File for any tax extension, everybody is elligible.