1. News & Issues
Nadra Kareem Nittle

Harry Connick Jr. Tackles Blackface in Australia

By October 9, 2009

Harry Connick Jr. took a stand Wednesday night. While serving as a guest judge on Australian variety show "Hey Hey It's Saturday," the jazz musician reprimanded performers who donned blackface and Afro wigs while spoofing the Jackson Five.

Not only did Connick, a New Orleans native, declare that he wouldn't have appeared on the show had he known about the skit beforehand, he told host Daryl Somers, "I just want to say, on behalf of my country, I know it was done humorously, but we've spent so much time trying to not make black people look like buffoons, that when we see something like that we take it really to heart."

Now the Internet is buzzing with debates about the controversy. Was Connick just being too PC? Did the performers mean no harm? Do Australians simply not get that blackface is offensive because the history and makeup of the continent is so different from America's?

While these are all thought-provoking questions, I am more interested in the message that Connick sent by taking a stand than debating the offensiveness of blackface. (But, yes, I do consider it to be offensive). When Connick spoke out against the Jackson Jive skit, he sent the message that whites have a duty to stand up when racism is at hand. Usually, the opposite message is sent.

It's oft insinuated that racism is the problem of people of color, and, therefore, they alone have the burden of fighting it. In actuality, racism is a problem that affects everyone's lives. If certain segments of the population face educational, employment and healthcare barriers because of race, the whole of America suffers the consequences of it. Our workforce falls behind other globalized nations in ability. We foot the bills of people without health insurance who end up in the ER when an untreated medical condition takes its toll. This is why I applaud Harry Connick Jr. for saying that he spoke for his country when challenging the Jackson Jive skit. Hopefully, he will inspire not only other whites to speak out against racism but also blacks to speak out when they see racism targeted at Asians or Latinos to speak out when they see racism targeted at Middle Easterners and so forth.

Calling out someone for racist behavior can be awkward. You might be considered a buzz kill or someone who can't take a joke. Tensions may arise between you, your coworkers and family members, but, ultimately, it's worth it.

What do you think? Whose duty is it to fight racism?

Comments

October 9, 2009 at 4:27 am
(1) Deborah says:

I liked Harry Connick before. I admire him now!

October 9, 2009 at 9:29 am
(2) Mark says:

Wow.. Harry. You were alone in a foreign country and you did not let that weight keep you from standing up for what’s right. The skit clearly made fun of what represents a black american icon who partially represented the leveling of our black/white cultural boundary. Besides that fact that Mike is dead now, it was offensive. After watching Harry’s authentic protest and his holding up a zero grade, I had tears of joy and hope. Here’s what would probably surprise you. I am white, christian, conservative and republican. I hope to have the character that Harry showed in that land. May God bless you Harry.

October 9, 2009 at 12:15 pm
(3) dontunderstand says:

I think as usual the problem is, Americans don’t understand Australian humor. You write that Australia doesn’t understand issues with racism, but you obviously don’t understand that Australia is just as much and possibly more, multi cultural than America. Australians have had issues with Aborigines, but here the humor is of sarcasm and no racism was even intended. If you were to ask one Australian who had not heard the outcry from Harry, not one would even consider it as racism, just funny.

October 9, 2009 at 1:47 pm
(4) Nadra says:

Dontunderstand, I don’t think you read the post carefully. I did not say Australia wasn’t diverse nor did I say that Australia doesn’t understand racism. I did, however, pose questions that have been raised about the controversy. Lastly, it doesn’t matter that Australians thought the skit was funny. Harry Connick Jr., an American from the formerly segregated South, thought that it was offensive and had every right to say so. Moreover, the Australians in question were parodying an African-American family, giving an American like Connick all the more reason to speak out.

Susan, that’s excellent news! Good for you.

October 9, 2009 at 1:46 pm
(5) Susan says:

Just last night I pointed out to my husband an expression that he used was a variation on a virulently racist one. He blustered, he denied he was a racist, but he got the message. I don’t think the phrase will live in his lexicon any longer.

October 9, 2009 at 2:17 pm
(6) Cy Stapleton says:

I have no problem with the vaudefield-type blackface routines. Al Jolson’s was probably the most famous of them. Jolson is acknowledged as the first openly Jewish entertainer to “come out of the closet” and admit he was Jewish. He also the most vocal fighter of his time against black discrimination. He was credited with single-handedly introducing African American music to white audiences. He is the one who paved the way for black performers, playwrights, and songwriters – including Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, and Ethel Waters.

There is certainly racism in this country, but my personal observation is that for the most part, it is one sided. It is rare that I ever run across a white racist, but quite common to run across a black racist. Until the vast majority of blacks look to the future rather than the past and take advantage of the huge opportunities this country offers and until such time as they simply let the offending person know their remarks are considered inappropriate rather than broadcasting it to the world, we will be a racist society.

October 9, 2009 at 2:29 pm
(7) Cal says:

It is disappointing that many of my fellow Australians did not see the offensive nature of the skit. While the performers did not I think mean any harm it should have been stopped by the producers of the show. Harry Connick Jr deserves all the plaudits he is getting for taking a stand on this.
Australia is still a great place to live and the people are friendly but some don’t understand what its like to be marginalised.

October 9, 2009 at 2:29 pm
(8) will says:

I don’t believe that there was malice in the skit, it was bad comedy that’s for sure. It was pointed out on The View however that Australian Aborigines are poorly treated and this is certainly true – this is because of indifference and a government with no real policies to help the situation, that is our shame.

All races are racist, people of European ‘stock’ are not necessarily the worst.

October 9, 2009 at 2:53 pm
(9) M Davis says:

Cy, it’s not 1-sided. Our President is a progressive with a lot of future vision and he was disrespectfully called a Liar by a very well known proudly Southern Racist. And Jews across the planet are the 1st to scrutinize anyone’s use of the Holocaust and decry racism. I applaud Harry for his courage – a very decent person indeed. Racism is alive. We need to admit it and compassionately stand against it like Harry did.

October 9, 2009 at 4:57 pm
(10) caz says:

The skit was not trying to be offensive they were danicing and yes dressed up as the jacksons. Better not let your kids dress up as cowboys and Indians either.

October 9, 2009 at 5:29 pm
(11) Liz says:

Well one thing this has all achieved is the talking about it. One thing he can’t say about not knowing is a bit of horse hockey – he would have seen the skit during rehearsals. And oh yeah what about Harry taking off a Black preacher some years ago but is that different?

October 9, 2009 at 6:32 pm
(12) Caroline James says:

I think that H C Jr. standing is a totally valid one, which doesn’t give opportunity to make fun and show bad art against the non- white community. I have seen the show for years until it was cutt off TV, and even the perfornces for sure didn’t mean a racits comment, but they need to be aware of the racism situation in the world and realize that it could give opportunity to make negative comments about other races.
Australia is a beautiful and caring country. I have lived here for the last 20 years and I have found the 2 types of people. Most of thye population are extremely open minded and interested about knowing other cultures and a small minority who need to be educated about race issues.
What H C Jr. did at the end is standing up for his believes and eveyone has the right to do it. Obviously, he is a man of character, a great musician and a good role model for us all. On the other hand, he should chill out about the situation; he sent an excellent message which was professionally accepted by the host of the program and the situation has been assimilated and lesson taken. So, thye media should leave the situation in peace.

October 10, 2009 at 12:26 am
(13) dingo says:

I am Australian, and I have to disagree with Connick’s reaction. It’s just not ok to stand up on a foreign TV program and denounce what is culturally acceptable humour in that country.

I also disagree strongly with anyone who claims Australia is racist – We’re probably the world’s most multicultural, and cohesively so, nation. This country was built by immigrants.
Ok, we have an issue with Aboriginal disadvantage – but it’s not through lack of trying, hatred or contempt. It simply boils down to the fact that they have not been successfully integrated with the other groups of society. We’re working on it, but it can’t happen overnight.

Don’t be so quick to judge Australia – We’re a happy nation, and proud of what we’ve achieved as a truly diverse society.

October 10, 2009 at 2:05 am
(14) Brian Brett says:

Why should the producers of ‘Hey Hey It’s Saturday’ have to take note of American sensibilities on a programme made for local viewing. We certainly have to endure American shows here which, from time to time, include scenes and dialogue which are, at the very least, insensitive to our culture. And why, pray tell, no mention of the fact that the guy playing the Michael Jackson part is of Indian heritage?

October 10, 2009 at 4:02 am
(15) Carl Oscar says:

This skit was taken totally out of context as the performers were not having a go at African Americans or any other race per se and now they the performers and Australia have been branded racist by the over sensitive, self righteous and often hypocritical individuals.
I could stand in a garage, tell everyone that I met that I am a car, make all sorts of car noises however it doesn’t make me a car – Americans may have ousted the blackface as a routine and may have elected Obama as their president however that doesn’t truly mean that they have taken any true steps forward to address their inherit culture of racism.
In any society or nationality there is unfortunately an element of racism and that is why humans have independent thoughts, opinions and differences and luckily we are not clones, however Australians as a general rule are far less racist as a populace than America and some other nations.
America as a nation and culture are dysfunctional and bigotry, always trying to inflict their own twisted sense of morals on others – America you should be tried in The Hague for your continued practice of cultural genocide.

October 10, 2009 at 4:39 am
(16) nick annabelle says:

I am so sick of americans trying to impose their cultural values on other countries. Just because blackface is considered racist in the US does not make it racist in Australia. We have different histories and cultural views.

Australia never had slavery, never to my knowledge had “blackface” performers and I am sure if you put that term to an Australian a week ago they wouldn’t know what you were talking about.

In some Asian countries it is considered rude to point. Does that mean we all stop pointing? No of course not.

October 10, 2009 at 6:25 am
(17) Mark says:

I find most American movies that feature the ‘bad guy’ as an Australian, British, German character to be racist. Its like to be an American is to be good. The world is not so black and white. And remember which country had slaves.

October 10, 2009 at 11:46 am
(18) Steve Irwin says:

As has been mentioned, there is no such thing as ‘blackface’ in Australia.

The show was for Australian viewing and therefore a bunch of guys (of mainly Indian decent!) dressed up to look like the Jackson 5 for a less than humourous performance has no relevance to blackface performers in America and is in no way racist.

And to hear Americans like Elisabeth Hasselbeck denouncing Australia as a racist backward country on the View would be laughable were it not for the hypocrisy.

Harry should have kept his mouth shut or stayed in his own country, the hypocrite.

October 10, 2009 at 1:51 pm
(19) Nadra says:

I certainly believe that blackface makes a mockery of dark-skinned people. The so-called Jackson Jive looked as if they’d painted their faces with shoe polish. That’s not the skin color the Jackson Five or 99.9% of African Americans have, so, yes, it is a mockery of blacks and an insult. Knowingly or not, these performances conjured up racist imagery of blacks, be it in the U.S., Australia or elsewhere. There was no attempt to create an authentic representation of how African Americans actually look. Had they darkened their skin to a deep brown color, a skin color that African Americans actually have, that would be one thing. By going for the shoe polish look they were linking themselves to racist imagery which largely dehumanizes blacks. A case in point is that this same kind of imagery often shows blacks having tails as well. And, for those who say Connick shouldn’t force his American values on Australians, I think you forget that he was invited on the show to give his opinion. In addition to that, the performers were parodying an American group, giving him all the more justification to express himself.

October 10, 2009 at 2:55 pm
(20) Ian says:

The problem is not racism. It is the huge cultural and historical divide that separates Australia from America. I often watch American sitcoms as most Australians do. Most of the jokes I get, some I do not, while others have come across as vaguely offensive or insulting. The American studio audience may be in raptures at jokes that I sometimes cannot find any humour in. American comedy often seems to revolve around two people standing at either ends of a room shouting insults and abuse at one another. Australians often find this kind of humour a bit mundane, too overtly “in your face”, and even somewhat peculiar. What is so funny about two people constantly bickering and bantering and mentally and emotionally abusing each other? Australians do not understand some parts of your humour just as you cannot expect to ever fully understand ours. The Hey Hey segment was light-hearted and good-hearted humour based on a retro parody of a great group. Well at least this is the way it was intended and received by most Australians. By the way, the majority of Australians, including myself, had never heard of the racist term “blackface” before Harry Connick Jnr brought the term here. I’m not sure if this was a good thing. We do not require American sensibilities just as Americans should not expect to adopt ours.

October 10, 2009 at 4:36 pm
(21) MJB says:

I’ve lived in Australia for over 25 years and know that few Americans understand Australian humor. Australians, like most of the western world, are amused by the very serious PC attitudes that exist in the USA. i.e. Americans take themselves so seriously. No one would have thought anything of this skit if Harry hadn’t made an issue of it by imparting his PC American views to it….For decades, Michael Jackson tried to look white but whites did not complain. Why are some black people insulted when white people try to look black – in a humorous manner as well.

Australians are very open minded and there is little if any racism here.

MJB
US Citizen
Australia

October 10, 2009 at 7:48 pm
(22) Brian Brett says:

Nadra, Connick was not ‘invited’ onto the show, he was paid to be there and, like all good performers, all he needed to do was stay sober and deliver his lines in the correct order. All he did by big-noting himself with his PC carry on, was to reinforce the image of the paternalistic ‘Ugly American’.

October 10, 2009 at 9:55 pm
(23) Steve Irwin says:

Nadra, they were of Indian descent, in other words they all ready had dark skin. Tell me, was the guy impersonating Michael Jackson being racist for painting his black face white?

Americans need to stop being so self righteous with their PC, if any thing this has made the Americans look like a bunch of pompous, hypocritical egomaniacs.

Remember Australians arent the ones who have a history of mocking minorities through these so called ‘blackface’ performances like you guys do so this performance never would have been a problem for us..

October 11, 2009 at 2:43 am
(24) Nadra says:

Steve, I watched the video. You can see the parts of their body that weren’t painted, and their skin looks pale to me. In no way did their skin look “really dark” or even close to the shoe polish black they painted their skin. Overall, their ethnic origin doesn’t matter to me. I’m black. If I were to tape my eyes to make them appear slanted while parodying an Asian person that would be racist. The fact that I’m black wouldn’t change that.

October 11, 2009 at 3:06 am
(25) stefan says:

You all don’t know how to have a laugh

everything has to be politically correct these days

October 11, 2009 at 4:00 am
(26) Brian Brett says:

You raise an interesting point, Narda, how do we properly gauge who is black and who is white? Perhaps astronomers will let us borrow the Albedo scale they use for planetary reflection. I can see it all now, you get on a bus and the driver shines a light on you, and measures the reflection off your face. “Albedo 0.8, buddy, you’re white, take a seat”. “Albedo 0.2, sorry, you’re black, up the back of the bus you go”. “Albedo 0.50, sorry, you’re Sri Lankan, go play cricket”.

Trouble is, Sri Lankans are damn fine cricketers.

October 11, 2009 at 8:40 am
(27) Carl Oscar says:

Australia never developed blackface theatre to perpetuate racist archetypes so we failed to realise that there is sensitivity to a near-paranoid state about white-black relations and blackface. What we are guilty of is cross-cultural misunderstanding, not racism.

The skit was a group of mostly NON WHITE persons impersonatoring a musical band by changing their skin colour (over done, yes) to look more like the original act is incidental to the impersonation’; it doesn’t make race the joke. The only possible ethnic commentary angle was that the person playing Michael Jackson – who is ethnically Indian – coloured his face white, a reference to the late entertainer’s fading skin colour.

If there hadn’t been a Red Faces judge from the old slave-holding, black-lynching American south or if they had of changed their skin colour, worn dreadlocks and tea cosies on their heads and sung a reggae song, there would have been no ‘race’ controversy.

Every day I switch on my TV and watch American TV/Movies and see nationalities (West Indian, Hispanic, Jewish, Arab – Muslim…etc) being impersonated and portrayed in stereotyped (buffooned) by a variety of people yet you and other Americans remain oblivious and silent – hence why we say hypocrites

October 11, 2009 at 8:40 am
(28) Stuart Gibson says:

It would be surprising if the emergence from the historic injustice of slavery in the US had not had a powerful effect on that country’s psyche.
Australia never suffered that trauma and, consequently, has none of the attendant neuroses.
They should not be imposed from outside.

October 11, 2009 at 7:04 pm
(29) Deb says:

Nadra, you use the word racism repeatedly, which I find most offensive. You say Connick “sent the message that whites have a duty to stand up when racism is at hand”. No he didn’t, but it seems to suit the purposes of angry Americans to say he did. If you go to his website, he specifically says he *didn’t* see it as racism.

Racism definition –
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one’s own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

I don’t see at all how a few Jackson fans impersonating the Jackson5 in any way demonstrated hatred or superiority toward the Jackson family or to African Americans. Are you accusing innocent Australian Jackson fans of an ulterior motive based on your own thinking?

I’ve read and heard a lot of American comments and misinformed statements about this, and can only conclude that you are all so oversensitive about your own racial history that you see ‘racism’ everywhere you look, even in places it doesn’t exist like this harmless skit.

October 12, 2009 at 1:23 am
(30) ABF says:

As a black Australian unfortunately many of the comments denying Australia is racist come as no surprise at all. And wait for it, the usual line that comes out……it was all just a ‘harmless’ joke. But that’s OK. If something is truly not intended as racist then it’s a case of ignorance and that at least is understandable, forgivable and can be learnt from.

However, far more infuriating, frustrating and disgusting than the performance of the troop on Hey Hey it’s Saturday is the reaction of some of my fellow Australians. Those who rush in to say that it is just American bigotry imposing its cultural view point on Australia, seem horse-blinkered determined not to acknowledge the problems that truly do exist in our country and that many of us have to deal with on a daily basis.

The most important effect of the performance was that it raised (albeit very briefly as usual) the debate of racism within Australia not just nationally but internationally, a position some Australians seem annoyed with. It’s like having your dirty linen shown off to the world at large.

To those of that order, it seems you are more annoyed that your international image and pride has been piqued rather than be willing to engage in a real understanding of racism within our country and how it can be washed away from our shores. Simply saying ‘yeah they don’t get us’ is like listening to a child trying to blame someone else when their actions have come under scrutiny.

However, there is a point at which ignorance begins to become intolerable. Mr Gibson, Australia may not have enforced slavery but it ‘Whites Only’ policy of immigration only ended less than 35 years ago (it would appear my country’s psyche is in a state of denial). And to the person who goes by the name ‘dontunderstand’ the biggest joke in all of this is that you should live up to your nominated name so effectively. And to Debs, I’m an Australian who likes a good joke as much as any other, but the skit was as unnecessary as it was unfunny. There’s oversensitivity but surely a complete lack of it when it comes to good judgement is far more tragic. Infact the demonstrated lack of it is practically making me curl up with dry laughter. Now who says i don’t appreciate sarcasm or irony?

If those people who speed to defend the skit spent as much time and effort improving and understanding race sensitivities and relations in Australia then this whole debate would not even be happening. And that…….is no joke!

October 12, 2009 at 5:10 am
(31) Nadra says:

Thanks for posting, ABF. I think your comments give this discussion thread some much needed insight.

October 12, 2009 at 5:01 am
(32) Deb says:

Thanks for your clear and honest comments ABF. I hope no-one minds me having a second go at saying something here in response.

After reading your thoughts, I think that I (and others) have seen this as a big ‘fuss’ about some misunderstood offence over a lightweight variety show act, and have only addressed that. The bigger issue of actual racism in our respective countries has been too much to confront all at once, for fear of sparking more frenzied anger and guilt on all sides of the discussion. “But how could you get so angry about a little face paint?” And of course, I see now that it’s not just about that at all.

There’s been plenty of blame and accusation on online forums, and plenty of swearing. No good. What you said that really hit the spot for me is that unintentionally causing offence “at least is understandable, forgivable and can be learnt from.” “Forgivable”. That’s the first time I’ve seen that word in any forum, and it sure is a powerful word. It stops the attack and allows the discussion to widen in a safe way.

Maybe I’ve expected too much of online forums. Dealing with so much anger and attack has been quite a shock. Some people even think that black Australians are “made to live in the desert” and are never employed by white people except in “slave-type jobs”. Screams of “Racists!” fire up whenever someone makes that kind of claim. No chance of listening or being heard at that point. The real issues of racism need to be worked on when there is a chance of some positive progress being made.

Thanks again for the thought-provoking words ABF. I guess if a few positive learning interactions have occurred for some of us, some ‘good’ might come from those d*ckheads who put that cheap ugly black muck on their faces without thinking….sheesh.

October 12, 2009 at 2:36 pm
(33) jojo says:

I applaud Harry Connick Jr. for doing the right thing. Fyi though…..he is certainly not the first white person to do so. Many non-racist white people fight racism routinely.

October 12, 2009 at 4:08 pm
(34) CHORNS says:

ALL!!!

October 13, 2009 at 3:39 am
(35) Stuart Gibson says:

ABF, I thought I was discussing a rubbish skit on TV. I didn’t think I had to state my views on a range of issues I consider important in a wider context but wholly irrelevant to the terms of this discussion.

For the record: I do deplore the frequently dreadful relationship between between aboriginal and non-aboriginal australians. I never supported the white australia policy. It was wrong but clearly it was not slavery. I would be disappointed if you thought I would think otherwise.

The skit was hopeless, tasteless and unfunny. But racist? I do wish we could stick to the point.

October 13, 2009 at 11:58 pm
(36) bb says:

Thank you Harry Connick if you don’t stand up for something you’ll fall for anything

October 16, 2009 at 1:01 am
(37) Destini J says:

It is amazing how people defend their ignorance, without recognizing that prejudices affect the other person. Of course the racism of the skit is not a big deal to the majority of Aussies. They are not the ones suffering the injustice. Its hilarious to them to ridicule others on “lower rungs of the ladder”.

October 18, 2009 at 12:25 pm
(38) Pamela Bard says:

I’m proud of Harry C. These changes we seek can’t be
legislated; we’ll just have to ‘shame’ racism back to a point where it becomes culturally unacceptable.

October 18, 2009 at 5:57 pm
(39) JoJoSmith says:

Look, Australia does not have America’s history. We do not as a nation have a race issue with African people, Asian people, European people, American people or otherwise. As someone else said, we didn’t even know the term “blackface” before America exported the term to us in the last few weeks.

Anyway, the skit was not racist in the Australian context (and probably not racist out side of the USA) – it was a send-up of a pop band. Taking it any other way is indicative of the beliefs and values of the viewer, not the intent of the performer. If sending-up black pop-bands is taboo, then for the same reason, we cannot also send-up, say the Spice Girls or Brittany Spears by dressing men as women, and we cannot send-up religious figures, or people who happen to be from any other race. In other words, comedy and any other form of entertainment would restricted to people portraying only people from the same race, colour, and with the same values – should those 6 men have portrayed only a Lebanese/ Indian pop band (they were Australians of Lebanese and Indian ancestry) – or is it that a White/Black send-up is taboo because Americans say it is so?

I get that Americans don’t see this; that, for the most part, Americans feel that Black/White is a special case. But to the other 6Billion people on the planet, it is not a special case – we all need to be accepting of all races, beliefs and cultures and to treat each equally and with respect. If the American Black/White issues are a special case and to be treated as so by the rest of the planet, then that is disrespecting all other races, religions, etc.

I know that Americans still don’t get that Black/White is not a major issue outside America – but it isn’t. I am not saying that the only racists are in America, no, but very very few countries (South Africa, Rhodesia and a handful of others out of over 260 in the world) institutionalised racism. Very few need to make up “hate-crime” laws, etc to actively prevent the spread of racism.

The fact that we can have a skit in Australia like this and see it for what it is – a send up of a pop band – without race even coming into it, says that we don’t have the race issues that are prevalent in the USA. And it is extremely presumptuous and arrogant of the USA to impose their values on us.

Finally, it has been raised that Aboriginal people do not have the same standard of living as others in Australia, and that is true. But that is not a matter of racism – that is about the meeting of Western lifestyle with land-based tribal values and the same problem exists everywhere in the world where that has occurred – I suspect even with Native Americans. Aboriginals were not illegally transported from Africa and enslaved, they were the original inhabitants of Australia, just as are the Native Americans.

4% of our GDP is used to help Aboriginal people in their quest for self determination and better lifestyle (2% of the population is Aboriginal). Every Australian (and permanent resident) has equal rights of access to the health system, educational system, social security (which is not limited or dependant on how much you’ve worked in your lifetime), etc. We accept 250,000 immigrants per year from over 260 countries where our population is only 22M, and all gain immediate access to all the same facilities and rights as every other Australian. We are not racist in the American sense – you will always find inequities in any social group, but ours is not caused by racism.

October 18, 2009 at 7:42 pm
(40) JoJoSmith says:

To ABF:
Firstly, there is now no-one in Australia that agrees with the White-Australia policy (at least none that I have heard of in the media, books, other publications, etc) and we can’t believe that we ever had one.

From the Australian Immigration web site:
“Australia’s current Migration Program allows people from any country to apply to migrate to Australia, regardless of their ethnicity, culture, religion or language, provided that they meet the criteria set out in law.

According to the 2006 Census, Australia’s population was then around 20 million people and of those reporting country of birth, about 24 per cent were born overseas and 45 per cent were either born overseas or have at least one parent born overseas.

Australians identify with some 250 ancestries and practise a range of religions. In addition to Indigenous languages, about 200 other languages are spoken in Australia. After English, the most common languages spoken are Italian, Greek, Cantonese, Arabic and Mandarin.

The government views Australia’s cultural diversity as a source of both social and economic wealth.”

And you know what, the white-Australia policy was directed at immigration only – not Ingenuous Australians. It was actually an economic policy developed to prevent “cheap labour” from coming to Australia (before wages were dictated by the Govt). Note that it was designed to reject cheap labour, rather than enslave it.

Although it was dismantled from 1946 onwards, it probably saw an extended support due to our American friends through the cold-war because, outside the USSR itself and Cuba, all major other communist countries were non-white. That is, it was actually an anti-communist policy as well an economic policy – not a racist policy.

Funny isn’t it that we allowed American foreign policy to dictate how our politicians developed our own foreign policy post WWII.

Also, the white Australia policy had nothing to do with domestic Aboriginal Policy and it was not a genocide or assimilation policy, but an immigration and economic policy – misguided perhaps, but not racist in nature.

Anyway, just thought I’d clarify that although a disgusting policy in it’s own right, it did not affect resident Australian’s legislated rights – unlike in the US where you had bussing, separate drinking fountains, etc at about the same time that Australia ended it’s white Australia policy, and then followed that with “hate crime laws”, etc.

October 18, 2009 at 9:27 pm
(41) JoJoSmith says:

Obviously, previous item I meant Indigenous Australians – not Ingenuous Australian….:)

October 26, 2009 at 10:59 pm
(42) Preatorius says:

Since his mother was really born in Coteau, Louisiana in 1926, and his grandfather was African on his WWI registration and the 1930 census, I would say he is in part African American. However, only Jill knows which part…

Poor Harry is doing everthing possible to suppress this, since his mother was passing, but it is all public record. There was no Anita Livingston from New York born in 1926. Do the research at rootwsweb.

Your boy may have been offended in Austrailia, but not enough to give up white priveledge.

Sorry Harry, you can run, but you cannot hide.

October 26, 2009 at 11:00 pm
(43) Preatorius says:

Poor Harry is doing everything possible to suppress this, since his mother was passing, but it is all public record. There was no Anita Livingston from New York born in 1926. Do the research at rootwsweb.

Your boy may have been offended in Australia, but not enough to give up white privileged.

Sorry Harry, you can run, but you cannot hide.

January 4, 2010 at 12:26 pm
(44) irvin says:
February 9, 2010 at 11:24 am
(45) I Smell Poop says:

This guy is not from New Orleans. He’s a rich phony from Weston, Connecticut, where he attended public school from 1970-1982. Also, his real father was never the D.A. in New Orleans. He is or was one of the presidents of Sony Music and a stockholder in sony Pictures. The father had a career in show business and once appeared in the film “Let’s Make Love’ with M. Monroe and Y. Montand. Check it all out! It’s true!

April 12, 2010 at 6:06 pm
(46) samantas says:
April 13, 2010 at 1:45 am
(47) sammys says:
April 16, 2010 at 10:32 pm
(48) Billy Bearden says:

Lest we cry too many crocdile tears, I got no problem with an Al Jolson nor a Ted Danson doin some silly black face – say, didn’t some white woman just get crucified for a similar non hurtful parody of a black rapper?

Boo Hoo, whites doing a black face – obviously racist.

Eddie Murphy doing a white Jew or the Waynan Brothers doing some white chicks – funny all the way to the bank!

Next REAL issue PLEASE…

October 7, 2010 at 8:27 am
(49) telena helotova says:

Personally I dont find it amusing, or any other type jewish humor either(milton berle,sid ceasar,and the rest of the heckle and jeckles, I.d rather watch grass grow than endure their presecence. but…. if there is amarket for such stage shows maybe the audience is to blame not the performers,besides i think it is a non issue and if soemoen is sensitive to a past issue ,i give them a tissue,there is much more serious problems than politically incorrect black face. knowledge of the topic is sufficient I still dont know why they banned amos and andy. why did nt they cancel the white shows for showing them in such a ididotic manner?now we have a plethotras of black tv andd it is just as bad as the so called white tv which is really jewish tv.and jews invented black face allso a nice genre called “coon hollering”

April 11, 2011 at 1:01 am
(50) Sheryl Jo says:

Everyones!!

July 4, 2011 at 7:38 am
(51) Mexadlhc says:

archangels gabriel,

December 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm
(52) HarryConnickJrSucks says:

Harry Connick Jr. was a guest in Australia but the liberal trendy piece of trash just couldn’t keep his arrogant mouth shut. I guess he was just doing his “duty” by modern liberal trendy progressive American standards, you know the way it ought to be, to push white guilt and promote multi culti in Australia by “schooling” those horrible “racist” performers. It would have been appropriate if a group of Australians had taken Harry out back and schooled him a bit about being a guest in their country and opening his fat liberal trendy multicultural New York mouth up and doing his “duty” to reeducate the white Australians about how racist such behavior is. By all means take a swim in the Hudson Harry and please don’t get out.

April 21, 2014 at 8:43 am
(53) Clash Of Clans Gems Hack Cheat says:

I have an i – Phone with many apps downloaded to it and some of the apps below are some of my
favorites. A great place to start learning, collaborating and finding out exactly what it takes to succeed as a mobile game
developer are game development forums. Sky – Drive – I use Microsoft’s Sky – Drive
to back up and sync my local documents and other files.